Author Topic: James Austen, Godalming  (Read 12700 times)

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Austen, Godalming
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jane!   I'm very excited about all the information you've found.  I wish I could find absolute proof that Isaac and Mary Ann Austen's son James was my great-grandfather.  At this point it appears there is a good chance he was.  The recorded history of the Isaac Austen family is growing more and more complex (and I admit to being confused!), but so far I've seen nothing that would rule their James out as being my ancestor James Austen. 

This morning while I was searching online for more information about the Isaac Austen family, I found an entry at another ancestry website from a descendant who wrote that in 1858, two years  after Isaac's death in 1856, Mary Ann put her children on a ship and went to South Africa.  One brother went to Transvaal, one to southern Rhodesia, and one went to Australia.  The entry didn't state whether the brother who went to Australia had first gone to S. Africa.  To reply to the entry, one would have to be a paid member of the website, which I'm not, but I had nothing to offer, anyway.   My great-grandfather James would have been living in America from at least 1851 or 1852, so I know he didn't go with the family.  If Mary Ann was buried in 1860 with Isaac in Tobridge, she must have left S. Africa and returned to England.  I don't think bodies were transported great distances for burial at the time - or were they sometimes?

At another website I found an entry from a descendant of Isaac and Mary Ann's who lives in Australia and was looking for other descendants of theirs.  His email address was provided, so I emailed him, explaining that I might be a descendant, and sent him the link to this thread.  I don't know if I'll hear back from him.  Maybe he'll join this forum.

I was amazed to read in your post that Isaac's father, John, was married in America, and that this John's father, also named John, died in America.  That seems odd, but so did the S. Africa information!

Yes, I'd like very much if you'd try to contact the researcher on Ancestry.  Maybe you could direct him here.  Would that work?  However you decide to handle it would be fine with me. 

Oh, my goodness, how I would love to see a portrait of Isaac, and a photo of his tombstone   Do you know the name of the cemetery?  As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, I was once told that an ancestor - or ancestors - of my father's were buried in one of the possible Gray's "Elegy" churchyards, and I've wondered about it for years.

Thanks again for all you've done! 

Offline treasure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tril, I used to live in Godalming, its a really lovely old place steeped in history. I wondered if you might be interested in the web-site www.godalming-tc.gov.uk/  it might be of some interest to you.  Regards T

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, treasure.  I'd like very much to learn about Godalming.  I'll visit the website now.  :)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Tril,
The trees on Ancestry that I looked at were public trees so I think you should be able to view them (I might be wrong) Have a go, just put in James's particulars with father Isaac & mother, Mary Ann.  If this doesn't work for you, get back to me.  To be able to contact the researcher, yes, you would have to be a member, so I can help you there.
Have you traced James's marriage? This would give you his father's name, proof positive that Isaac was his father.
If Mary Ann died abroad I don't think they would have brought her body back, so maybe that information is erroneous  :-\

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I can see your confusion concerning the entry on Curious Fox re Mary Ann going to SA.  The youngest son, George Elvey is clearly mentioned, so maybe she did go but returned before her death.  Out & in bound passenger lists are available on Ancestry but unfortunately my sub doesn't cover them.
It might be worth taking your enquiry over to the Kent board on Rootschat as it's now looking that the family was from that county.  If you do, make a link to this thread so that information doesn't get duplicated.

jane

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

A cousin of mine has lots of information about James's wife Julia's family, and may have a copy of the marriage certificate.  I'll ask.

As you suggested, I'll also visit the Kent forum here at Rootschat.

Thank you.   :)

Tril

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

Oops, I clicked "Post" before saying thanks for suggesting I try finding some helpful information at Ancestry.  I'll do that now.

Thanks,

Tril

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I think there's quite a possibility that your Austen family has a link with the family of Jane Austen, the author.  I found this nice site;

http://www.writersgate.co.uk/map/janeaustinweb.pdf

Also I found this document from the Surrey History Centre's online collection, which gives the location of Isaac's shop in Godalming.

Two houses at the bottom end of Godalming High Street, one formerly in the occupation of Thomas Collins and the other of Mary Spoll and Thomas Collins, now both in the occupation of George Collins and Isaac Austen.
Keen pays £1650, of which £1150 goes to Stedman to pay off the Mortgage
The original Mortgage was from Thomas Chitty butcher to John Sparkes and Daniel Hampton in 1769

Personally I feel sure that your James is the one we've found, son of Isaac & Mary Ann.  His marriage certificate should confirm this or the will of Isaac that I mentioned in an earlier post might mention James & the fact that he was in the USA.

Link to Godalming museum;  http://www.waverley.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=307&pageNumber=3
I don't know why this link is not 'live', but just Google Godalming Museum.

jane

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Jane, I've emailed my cousin to see if she has a copy of James's marriage certificate.  Now I'm going to try to find information on Isaac's will that would indicate James's whereabouts.  Thanks for suggesting that at least one of those sources might give some answers.

My, it would be something if it turned out that I'm a distant cousin's of Jane Austen's.   All this time while searching for "Austen" on the Internet, I'd been typing "-Jane" into the search slot, so that web sources containing her name wouldn't appear and distract me.  Yes, it would be something, all right.   I'd like that. 

So, Isaac's shop was at the bottom of High Street.  Yesterday at the Godalming website, I saw that a web cam was set up on High Street.  Just for fun, I'm going to have a look.  All this information is so exciting for me! 

During an Internet search, I found Isaac Austen mentioned in this article, "Methodism in Normandy":

http://normandyhistorians.co.uk/aandp17.html

(snip)  "He [James Horne] later took over preaching at Pinks Hill with Isaac Austen of the Sevenoaks Circuit, who had come to Godalming to work with the local preacher Mr Golding."

~~

Isaac Austen is also featured (starting on Page 6) in an article called "The Church in the Wilderness," which too is about Wesleyan Methodist preacher James Horne:

http://normandyhistorians.co.uk/library/pw27.pdf

In the above article, there is mention of a Wesleyan missionary program in South Africa.  I wonder if the missionary program could be what led Isaac's family to emigrate there after his death.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Tril