Author Topic: MARSHALL FAMILY OF BARNSLEY  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARSHALL FAMILY OF BARNSLEY
« on: Tuesday 24 November 09 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I started this topic some time back, and had a lot of help from various listers.  Things have moved on a bit since then, and I would be most grateful for any help and advice.

My g-g-g-grandmother Mary Marshall b. 1835, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Marshall, gave birth to an illegitimate son at Barnsley Union Workhouse in 1857.  Mary had been working as a domestic servant in the house of Joseph and Elizabeth McLintock in 1851; Elizabeth McLintock died in 1852 and in that year Joseph was declared bankrupt.  Some time between then and 1860 when he died, he moved to Manchester and remarried in 1859.  I am assuming that because of his bankruptcy Mary Marshall would have had to leave his employ and find work elsewhere.

On the suggestion of a lister, I was able to find a Mary Pattison in the 1861 census for Crigglestone;  she was visiting Pattisons and had with her a child of 4 years named William Marshall - Mary's approximate date of birth was given as 1835;  I found a marriage for a Mary Marshall and Joseph Pattison in 1860, but the marriage certificate gives her father as "John Marshall", which throws a spanner in the works somewhat, as our Mary's father was Thomas.  I have not been able to find a baptism for Mary, and wonder whether anyone knows of a Mary Marshall b. 1835 whose father was John?

Because of the difficulties the family have had in trying to find out who William Henry's father was, my brother had his DNA tested;  whilst he has many 12 marker exact matches, at 25 and 37 markers he has some very definite matches to people by the name of Wood, two of which have family origins in Derbyshire and Cheshire.  These matches indicate a common ancestor many generations back.  I have found a William Henry Wood b. about 1834 in Barnsley, in the 1861 census, living in Church Street with his mother Ann and sister Lucy - does anyone have this person in their tree?

There is also the possibility that Mary may have found employment at Hickleton Hall, residence of Sir. Charles Wood Viscount Halifax;  this would tie in the the family "myth" which tells of her working for wealthy people at a "big house" at the time she fell pregnant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tisy

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
Re: MARSHALL FAMILY OF BARNSLEY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Joseph McLintock - Linen and quilt manufacturer in Barnsley - name McLintocks survived maybe until 1950's.  Try stableshistory.co.uk where you will find William Henry Wood. Though easiest way is to google Stables history tree of oswald.  Interesting this family lived at Barnburgh which is a stones throw from Hickleton Hall.
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 09 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi EBCH,

Thanks for the info - will try this;  old William Henry Wood sounds like he may be the one!  Wish I could find a descendant so we could try for a DNA match!

Cheers,

Carol

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 09 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Always worth a try.  I'm a firm believer in "I took the path less travelled by" - its much more fun!
I think the page you need - William H Woods is about two inches down the page - is archived on the Stableshistory site so do google   William Henry Woods tree-of-oswald    to get to it.  Good luck
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ebch,

My WHW would have been born in about 1834, so this one can't be the one unfortunately.

Cheers,

Carol