Author Topic: Dingley family of Cropthorne  (Read 56597 times)

Offline garfiddle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dingley family of Cropthorne
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 24 November 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is the Thomas I was referring to. I believe he had 4 sons: John, Richard, Thomas and Henry Two hundred years later 'my' Thomas Dineley had sons named John, Richard and Thomas.

Although not proof of descent, it is possible, e.g. I am named after my grandfather, who was named after his father, who was named after his grandfather, who was named after his father, who was born in the 1750s, more than two hundred years before I was born!

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 24 December 11 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Anyone with a connection to Somerset Dingley family?

Martha Dingley married John Haddon 3rd August 1740 at St. Mary's, Bridgwater, Somerset.
Any info. to get me going again researching would be great.
Thanks, Syljun

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 29 December 11 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Not sure if you have already checked it, but there is a Marriage Licence record showing on findmypast (original available from the Society of Genealogists) that is likely to be for the marriage you are looking at. Martha is read as Mary and Haddon is Hadden, but it might have some more for you to trace down. The date for the licence is 13 Feb 1739/40

~~~~~~~~
Record source: Faculty Office Marriage Licence Allegations 1701-1850 
Data provider: Society of Genealogists 

Neil
Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 30 December 11 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neill. Will look that up. Syljun

Does anyone know who Martha Dingley is who was left £10. in Will of Lady Martha Gifford who died 1722.
Martha was a god-daughter.

Lady Gifford was wife of Sir Thomas Gifford (died a few wks after marr. ) Lived with Brother Sir William Temple at Moor House, Surrey.
Found Will of Lady Gifford by accident online  but lost it and cannot now find it.
Cannot find it at National Archives. Anyone help?  Thanks, Syljun

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 30 December 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neill, Could you please tell me how you found Marr. Lic.of Mary (Martha) Dingley and John Hadden please and whether it would give me any more info. about the couple. Although I have a copy of Marr. Entry from Bridgwater it has scant info. about them just entry of marr. and names of couple.
 I don't have any credits of FindMyPast but would like original copy of Lic. if it tells me a bit more. I cannot seem to get any info. from Soc. of Genealogists. Perhaps I'm not doing it right. Any help please.
You have helped me in that I have been searching for a long time for bap. of a Martha Dingley in Bridgwater but will now search for a Mary. Thanks, Syljun

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 31 December 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Syljun,

The Findmypast record can be found within the Marriage Records by searching for John Hadden b. 1700 d. 1740. There are 3 records returned with this search within the Parish Records Collection, Marriages and the one for 1740 is the record of the Faculty Office Marriage Licence Allegations 1701-1850 that are held on Microfiche by the Society of Genealogists. The transcript on findmypast won't give you any more than I have already provided, but there may be more available on the scan of the actual document.

SoG also hold (as part of the same series) the Vicar-General Marriage Licence Allegations 1694-1850 and the same search returns a record from 12 Sep 1739 between a Dingley and a Hadden, but there are no first names. This could also be for the same couple, but because it is National it might not be; you can't tell without looking. I believe that, depending on the circumstances as to why a Licence was being applied for, the originals can contain information on the Parish of origin of the couples, names of guarantors, ages of the parties (at least over 21), and a signature of the applicant but equally it may not add much more than you have from the register.

Last time I needed one, the records could be obtained by visiting SoG in person in London (members free, but you can purchase a Visitors Pass) and paying a pound for a print of the fiche; or by paying £10 on-line and having the scan posted out to you. This option may only be available through the link on findmypast. However, SoG are very helpful if you send them an e-mail, or give them a call.

As an aside, I would also look at the names of the other Dingleys that seem to have married in Bridgewater around the same time, that can be found on IGI. They may lead you somewhere, if they are siblings.

Neil

Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 31 December 11 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neil, Info. most helpful and will e-mail them.
Best wishes,

Happy New Year.
syljun

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've just recently found that I'm also related to William Dingley (through his daughter, Lucy). I've come across various trees link them to the family in Cropthorne - but have my reservations on believing they are part of that line yet. I was wondering (hoping!) that maybe someone has found more information on the Halesowen Dingleys and where they came from. ???

Offline Scarboroughsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Reseraching Dingleys of Halesowen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 28 April 13 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi   I am new to this but just starting tracing my husbands family tree.  He is a Dingley from the Black country and so far I have got back to a William Dingley marrying a Rebecca Hadely.  but I have him as born around 1806.  Is this any relation to the previous William Dingley mentioned at the beginning of this thread or I have I just got wrong dates.  any help for a beginner would be greatly appreciated