Author Topic: Burials of Benjamin and Martha Fox  (Read 7756 times)

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials of Benjamin and Martha Fox
« on: Tuesday 24 November 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find the parents of George Fox.  He was a farmer married to Christiana Hinchcliffe (18 Oct 1802 Cathedral St Peter, Sheffield).  He was born c1777 and according to the 1841 Census, he was not born in Yorkshire.  In 1841 he was living in New May House, Upper Hallam.  He died there in 1848.

I have looked at the Fox family in Hathersage as there is a baptism for George Fox in 1777.  the parents of this George don't fit as I found a grave at Hathersage where this George is buried with his parents and so evidence that it is the wrong George.

There is a baptism in 1778 in Killamarsh and the parents are Benjamin Fox and Martha nee Carr.  There is a possibility that this is the right family.

I've looked for evidence that the family moved from the Derbyshire area to Fulwood (where there was already other members of the Fox Family).  I have found that in 1822 there is a Benjamin Fox who was a Slate Merchant in Fulwood.  I have also found that there were more children baptised in the Sheffield area: Ann, Martha and 2 Benjamins.

What may help, is if I can find the burials of Benjamin and Martha Fox.  I have had a Contact who believes that Benjamin died at New May House in 1831.  This information would verify if Benjamin and Martha were in the right area at the time of their deaths.

I would be grateful for any help, or suggestions, which may help me to move forward.

Thanks

Janet

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burials of Benjamin and Martha Fox
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi.  We may have already spoken on Genes. I have done alot of research on my sisters  partners family tree which does have a link into my own family via the Hinchcliffes.
The info i have on Martha Fox ( My sisters partner is a direct decendent of Martha) is
1841 census  living with partnes at Lodge Moore New hay house,
Marriage to George Fox  1845 ( I have a copy of the marriage cert).
1851  1861 living in Hathersage. 
1871 widow living in Surrey Street, Brightside.
1881 Norrey street, sheffield living with daughter Sara and her family and also daughter Fanny ., Also Thomas Arnold (family member to Robert Arnold who was married to Fanny Schofield.
1891???
Martha died 17 april 1898 in sheffield.
Hope this helps.
I am still working on the parents of George Fox but have foundinfo to support that George Fox has come from the line  of George Fox of Fulwood Hall. and ancestors of William Fox and Anne Moorwood. of Bradfield. .

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Continued.       George Fox and Christiania Hinchcliffe are burried  at Fulwood Church . A genes contact had found the grave but it did not give any further family information. .
Alot of info is in a book you can get from the libruary called.  More of Mayfield Valley. by Muriel Hall. .

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose

I'm not sure if we have had contact but it is very probable that we have!

George Fox, married to Christiana Hinchcliffe died in 1848 and I have an outline of the Will from Ancestry which I can forward to you if you send me your email address.

I'm not sure which George you have marrying in 1845, I would be very interested in seeing a copy of the marriage certificate you have.

I would love to be able to link George Fox to Fulwood Hall but I think his parents were Benjamin and Martha and I cannot work out who the father of Benjamin was.

I have been to Fulwood and looked for the graves of George and Christiana but I was unsuccessful.  (I live in Hertfordshire).  I occasionally go very near to the area and would like, one day, to find their graves.

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Rose

To continue

I know about the book, my Grandad, Harry Swallow helped with some of the information.  He always believed that there were connections to Fulwood Hall and had built up a tree showing the link.  I think he could be wrong!  I haven't used his tree, I would like to find out for myself.

It's very confusing

Janet

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
The Martha Fox i refer to is daugher of George Fox and Christiania Hinchcliffe. Martha married James Schofield.   
There is alot of information via the Mancester rylands libruary regarding what happened to Fulwood Hall and how George Fox ended up in debt. his son George fox had to sell it off.  (these are ancestors to George and Christiana).
My family tree programme keeps on crashing so  i cannot put up the information . it works one day but not the next.   any ideas? . " General Protection Fault in Module FTREE.EXE at 0003:of31".     i have it copied on memory stick and have to keep on making new files . my programme is very old 1997 so this may be the problem.  its only been happening in last 2 months . this is 5 years work and i am worried i will end up loosing the info.
Can you write to me via genes so i can let you have my e mail address. I cannot get onto the wills on ancestry as i only have limited access.  the genes contact who managed to find the buriel site for G & C took 2 hours to find but did not give any real information for parents.  Which Benjamin are you refering too as i have  few listed.    Rose. 

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Got one of my other  files up. 
Anne Morewood  1615 married William Fox of Smallfield. They hd 2 children William of Rowlee and George of Fulwood.
  see www.rotherhamweb.co.uk . Ann survived William and married Henry  Balgay. of Hope.  This  Henry was the father of Dorothy who married Anns son George. . Henry then sold or gave lands to George after the marriage to Dorothy.
. George then went on to Marry Mary Poole of Park Hill in Barlborough.   George wasted his estate  and 1690 matters became serious in debt and he disappeared. George son George  b1670 had taken over fulwood hall  but due to his fathers debts he had to sell fulwood hall in 1707.   This george had son George b1718   and as far as we can tell marriage  Elizabeth toothill. 1748  They too had son George b 1748
d 1778  buried in bradfield marriage ??.  who had children George 1777 and 8 other children.  This George being George and Christiana. .
Follow the line of Ann Morewood on the rotherhamweb pages. This line leads to  3 kings of england. all documented internet pages.
The line of all the Georges though is not concrete evidence  None of my contacts has been able to have documentary evidence and is a still ongoing project to verify the  exact links. .
If you have copy of the wills or access to ancestry wills perhaps there is some hidden info in them. They had money so the info is out there somewhere.
Rose x x x .

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rose

I understand which Martha you mean now.

I know about all the info in the library and one day would like to see it but I'm still not sure George and Christiana are linked to Fulwood Hall.

I have researched all this background information you have given me but the reason for there being doubt that George b 1777 is the son of George of Bradfield is that the 1841 Census says he was born outside the County of Yorkshire.  This has always caused a doubt for me and even though I've looked at the Fulwood Hall link, I've not been sure about it.  This led me to look at the IGI site and the only baptism around 1777 is in Killamarsh, Derbyshire and the parents are Benjamin and Martha Fox.

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
I discovered that Benjamin and Martha lived in the farm just 2 miles away from George and Christiana.

These are my notes about Benjamin (and Martha)

If Benjamin is the Dad I have found the baptisms for George (1778), Joseph (1779) and Martha (1788} in Killamarsh, Derbyshire.  I looked for more children, with the idea that Benjamin and Martha moved from Killamarsh to the Fulwood area.  I found Ann baptised 16 May 1785 Sheffield, Benjamin baptised 1 July 1787 Sheffield and another Benjamin baptised 4 March 1791 Old Church. Sheffield.

Burials
Ecclesall All Saints: Benjamin, farmer age 66 of Hallam on 26 Nov. 1817
Martha, widow age 64 of Hallam on 3 May 1823

What do you think?

Janet