Author Topic: Sri Lanka ( Ceylon) Marriage and Births  (Read 15884 times)

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Lanka ( Ceylon) Marriage and Births
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 November 10 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I wish I had a time machine and could go back about 25 years.  My boss, back then, was from Sri Lanka.  Perhaps he could have turned me in the right direction.

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 November 10 06:00 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar thought - "Who do I know who is Sri Lankan?". I cannot think of anyone I currently know.

Never  mind, where there's a will there's a way.

Offline Hollyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wrote to the British Library hoping they'd have the Ceylon/Sri Lanka BMDs and I got a nice reply telling me they are all kept at the following address in Sri Lanka and not on-line:-

Registrar General's Office, New Secretariat, Maligawatta, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka

Hope this is of help.

Hollyd

Offline jaguar10_7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello JMP, I happened to stumble across your post dated 26th November 2009, regarding Stanley Frederick Pearce and Evelyn Maud Tippet. I am rather curious, as these two people may be my great grandparents. My grandmother, Lynley Pearce (later married Geoffrey Duckworth) was born in Ceylon on 23rd March 1922 whilst her father Stanley was a missionary there. My grandmother was the youngest of four children, one of which sadly died at sea. I am aware that Stanley re married twice following the death of Evelyn and his second wife.

Did you ever find out what you were looking for. And if I may, what is your connection or purpose for the enquiry as I am intrigued to know.

I look out for your reply to my post with interest.

Kind regards

Rob Duckworth

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 02:24 BST (UK) »
HI
I'll tell you a tale my ex-next door neighbour told me years ago.  the situation probably hasn't changed much since then (this was probably 1980s)

He has Sri-Lankan ancestry, I'm fairly certain not indigenous but probably British who lived there.
He was unable to find out anything long distance, so decided that one annual leave he would go there (from Australia).

He fronted up to wherever the records were kept and told them what he was looking for.
They had nothing indexed, it was all in large bound books about the size, I believe, of the big books the UK Reg.General's records are kept in.  He was shown into a 'building' which was essentially concrete floors with concrete pillars supporting the next floor, etc, and no walls.   [This is a fairly standard type of building for residential purposes in very hot and humid climates - to allow any wayward breezes in.]  There was nothing to protect the books from rain etc. so many of them were quite mouldy.

The books were strewn all over the floor, not on shelves, and he was invited to look through them himself!
And yes he did find what he was looking for.
But he said it was a 'real education'

Sorry for the bad news
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Rob  ;D

Welcome to Rootschat. I am going to send you a personal message with my details on. You should recieve this very shortly. Let me know if you dont
Cheers
Jackie  ;D
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline jaguar10_7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi jackie, I received your email and have replied. Thank you

Offline simeon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 December 11 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, especially Rob!

I have read this post with interest as it seems to describe my relatives also. My grandfather was Derrington Stanley Pearce, son of Reverend Stanley Pearce. He was born in Sri Lanka and had a sister called Lynley who married Geoff Duckworth. I guess that makes us second cousins Rob! Not sure is I can add much to the locating of information from Sri Lanka, but I can probably fill in some blanks with some photos we have. Stanley married 3 times (Evelyn & Dorris are two names I know).

Regards
Simeon

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Simeon and welcome to Rootschat.

Rob hasn't been online at RC since last June, so I sent him a PM in case he doesn't have notification turned on.   Let's hope he gets it OK>

Once you have three posts up on the boards, you can send him a PM (personal email) yourself if you want.  Just click on the little square under his name to get to his profile, then underneath it you click on 'send this person a personal message' (something like that, it says).

Cheers
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)