Author Topic: William Rushworth 1851 Census  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Lolita

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Parents
    • View Profile
William Rushworth 1851 Census
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking a William Rushworth who appeared in the 1841 census (HQ107/1296/3) aged 57 +/- 5 yrs living in Horton, Bradford with his wife Mary aged 56.  William's occupation was a Woolcomber.  Does anyone have access to the 1851 census in order to find out if William and/or Mary were still alive at this time.
Rainford, Raper, Harrison, Sutcliffe, Horsfall, Etheredge, Horsfall, Tetley, Walker, Jackson.

Offline colinwatson9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Rushworth 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lolita
Have looked at Bradford 1851 census no sign of either in Horton area.
 Colin.
Watson Cononley/Idle/Broughton nr Skipton & Skipton
Pickles Tong/Westgate Hill/Idle
Wells Derby
Mawbey Derby/Staffs/Ireland
Fox Derby
Dawson Derby

Offline Lolita

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Parents
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin.  Perhaps they moved to another area or had died in the years between 1841 and 1851.  I did check deaths but quite a few William's in the Bradford area.
Rainford, Raper, Harrison, Sutcliffe, Horsfall, Etheredge, Horsfall, Tetley, Walker, Jackson.

Offline colinwatson9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lolita
Can you give me a few more details, any chance of anybody else living with them etc.
I will check surrounding area's.
Was the ages you gave off 1841 census?
Colin.
Wells Derby
Fox Derby
Dawson Derby

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lolita
I had a look for you on the 1851 census and there is a William Rushworth living in Pudsey, which is not far from Horton in Bradford. He is 68 which would make him the same age as the 1841 census William. He is living by himself and is classed as a journeyman which just means he has a craft and is no longer a apprentice. If you look at stories about the Horton Workhouse, there was seemingly alot of disturbances and riots in 1850 as the poor were not being treated well so he could have moved to get away from it all, just an idea you might want to look at. I did look at the Yorkshire BMD for you and as you mentioned there are quite a few Mary and William Rushworths died between 1841 and about 1856.
regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Lolita

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Parents
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandymc and again Colin.  The William Rushworth in Pudsey looks a possibility and thank you for the additional information you gave me which could tie in.  As to further information Colin, I am trying to find the parents of one of my grandmothers who was a Mary Rishworth/Rushworth who was born around 1803 Leeds.  I have traced Mary's marriage and birth of children throughout the censuses and her subsequent death in 1876.  She was buried in Haworth. 

Her parents however have always been a mystery. Someone pointed out to me that a William and Mary Rushworth had a daughter Mary in 1802 in Bradford (IGI) and I note in the 1841 census which I have a copy of Mary the daughter (now married and living with her husband John Whitham and two daughters, Ellen and Hannah and a son John 3 mnths) was listed on the same page as William and Mary Rushworth.  May be a coincidence but I know that it was not uncommon for families to live in close proximity to each other.

There were possibly siblings of Mary also but I have been unable to find any and unfortunately the IGI listing number is K 107658 and I'm not sure how to follow this up otherwise I may find some other children born to Mary and William. 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Re the IGI.   You click on the batch number and then fill in the box that appears and it lets you search that particular film for the surname you want.  No other Rushworths for William though a John and Hannah are having children.  You can also try moving the last number of the batch up or down one and see if it finds the next film.  Sometimes that works!
Andrea

Offline Lolita

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Parents
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 09 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Andrea - a worthwhile tip which I will try.

Offline colinwatson9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 November 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lolita
Just to confuse things even more I have checked my Bradford 1851 census.
Found William living in Pudsey
States he was a Widower age 62, Journeyman Carrier.
Born:Leeds Yorkshire.
ED No:21
Folio:518
Schedule:13
Entry:1
Pudsey Piece 2313
Colin.
Wells Derby
Fox Derby