Author Topic: Detectives required for lost soul and a photo date ...  (Read 24986 times)

Offline suelou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Detectives required for lost soul and a photo date ...
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 27 February 10 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it's Sue, Louisa Mary Suffield's granddaughter.

I wanted everyone who has followed thread and helped to solve the mystery to know that Louisa came "home" to me in the post today. When I saw the writing on the back I had quite a jolt as it was definitely my mother's handwriting. How the photo came to be in a shop will always be a mystery but it's really wonderful to have it here.

It's my birthday next Saturday and we're having a family get-together so I will be showing her off to everyone......she couldn't have come home at a better time!

Thanks again to everyone who helped to solve the mystery, especially, of course, Polly.

The end of the saga at last!

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 27 February 10 12:49 GMT (UK) »

Hi Soelou...........what a wonderful Birthday present, you couldn't wish for a better one.

I'm so pleased for you.

Barbara

P.S.     Happy Birthday for next Saturday.        ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Online aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
And A Happy Birthday from me too
For next Saturday

Elizabeth :)

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 28 February 10 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Glad she arrived ok Sue I was hoping to deliver her in person but it'll be a few months before I am  in the area so I thought it was time to say my goodbyes to her... I didn't hear any more from the shop keeper about the lady who had brought the photo in along with the others so if I do hearany more about where it came from I'll let you know ...
 I am just pleased that we had a happy ending ....  and all in time for your Birthday eh .I hope you have a wonderful day on Saturday Sue ...  ;)
  Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline artdec0

• RootsChat Member
  • Help! Distressed Genealogist. :o)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 28 February 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely story - renews ones faith in humankind!
 :)
Aggio Arno Beetles Bezer Bickham Bowdidge Buck Burgoine Convine Coupe Crapper Donno
Duffee Ellison Elmor/e Estall Fabin Forse Fuery
Garstin Gierth Inns Keilich Keyser Krogman/n
Mourgue Ling McNaught Petty Piper Poupart
Rollins Shilling Steers Thoene Walding Warbis
Wildman Wylly

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Strange isn't it... how a chance visit to a shop at random can result in an event that has led to something I will never forget and that one day in the future someone related to Sue just may  be reciting a tale to their child or grandchild of how a certain photograph of a Louisa Mary Suffield  came to be in their possession... through a wonderful medium called the internet ...Glad you enjoyed the journey too Ron .  ;)

Poll :)
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline WestYorks

• RootsChat Extra
  • God's Own County.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Strange isn't it... how a chance visit to a shop at random can result in an event that has led to something I will never forget and that one day in the future someone related to Sue just may  be reciting a tale to their child or grandchild of how a certain photograph of a Louisa Mary Suffield  came to be in their possession... through a wonderful medium called the internet ...Glad you enjoyed the journey too Ron .  ;)

Hello,

I just came across this old thread while doing some research. I can add a little info about the photographer Arthur Thawley.

Arthur Thawley was born in Thurgoland (nr Barnsley) in 1853 and was the son of a miner. His first job on the census was as colliery lamp cleaner. He married Martha barker in Leeds in 1877 and in 1881 was an engineman in a saw mill. By 1891 he's a photographer and by 1901 had his own studio on Boer Lane in Leeds. He died in 1930.

(Martha Barker was my great-great grandmothers sister)

Theres a couple of shots of his studio on the Leodis website.

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=201115_171610&DISPLAY=FULL

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=201115_171602&DISPLAY=FULL

Cheers,

Mick.

HERRON - (Holywood/Belfast) ORR - (County Down/Belfast) BARTLEY - (County Sligo)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 11 September 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mick for that additional information about the photographer .. It looks like a substantial business from the photographs .. I hope Sue has seen your reply ... I will drop her an email just in case...thanks again