Author Topic: The mum with 2 names - Selbourne Hampshire baptisms help pls  (Read 2416 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The mum with 2 names - Selbourne Hampshire baptisms help pls
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Please does anyone have access to Selbourne baptisms for  the years 1895 - 1911

I have a birth cert that says Annie Kezia Synes was born there in 1906
father George W Synes and mother Eliza Rosewell

However both the 1901 and the 1911 census have the mothers name as Sarah,  as we have not found a marriage yet we cannot work this out.  i have ruled out second marriage as the 1911 says the parents had been married 15 years.

I would very much like to have the other childrens bapt records checked to see what they say for the mum.

If no one has access to them is anyone going to the local records office.

The children are as follows

Ernest George Synes abt 1900
William james Synes abt 1902
George Edward Synes  abt 1904
Annie Kezia Synes 1906

according to the 1911 census there was 1 other child  but that died we have no record yet of even if it was a girl or boy or even where or when born

If anyone can help solve this mystery of the mum with 2 names I would be most grateful

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The mum with 2 names - Selbourne Hampshire baptisms help pls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with the baptisms, but I have found a possible marriage entry on FreeBMD:

Marriages Sep 1895
BUTCHER  Sarah Ann
LINES   George
ROBERTS   Sarah Ann
SINES   George
THAIR   George Edward
THAIS   George Edward
Kingston 2a 679

I presume from this (rather confusing!) entry, that George LINES/SINES and George Edward THAIR/THAIS had names which were difficult to read, and both men married a woman named Sarah Ann...  ::)

I see that on several censuses George's father (James) is listed as LINES, and it is very hard to decide from the image whether it's LINES or SINES.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Please also see this very similar thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,420957.0.html
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
thanks yep the other thread is also mine

its proving a right to do we have ruled out that marriage as that sarah is alone on 1911 census and childrens names are all wrong

Offline JaneRH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 04:23 GMT (UK) »
The Selborne parish registers give the following:-
1900   3 June, Ernest George Sines, son of William George (Private 14th Hussars) and Sarah*, baptised Selborne. Born 21 April.
1902   6 April, William James Sines, son of William George (lab.) and Eliza, baptised Selborne. Born 1 December 1901.
1904   13 July, Robert Edward Sines, son of William George (lab.) and Eliza, baptised Selborne. Born 11 May.
1906   1 April, Annie Kezia Synes, daughter of William George (lab.) and Eliza, baptised Selborne. Born 21 April.
* - possibly a ‘senior moment’ by the minister?
In 1901 - [William] George Sines and his wife [Sarah] and baby were living in Fishers Buildings in Selborne. These were the Selborne Workhouse, before the formation of the Alton Union in the 1830s. The Simes’ can not have been well off as the 3 of them shared the 3 rooms with Hori Cain, his wife and baby!
There was a marriage between a William Simes and an Eliza Brown in the Epsom district in the June quarter 1899. Possible?
Have you thought that William and the 14 Hussars could have been stationed in Ireland when they married. I eventually found a marriage when my great-grandmother went over there and got my great-grandfather to the altar as she found she was pregnant in the late 1800s. Those records will be in Ireland. There could have been a baby born over there.
Did you ever contact The Kings Royal Hussars Museum, Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester. SO23 8TS. 01962 828 541. The 14th Hussars amalgamated with other regiments and that is their Museum. Yours Jane

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh my aren't you a little treasure so much information, it helps a great deal thanks so much
One thing I have noticed you wrote as father William George on all those bapt NOT George William  so maybe the marriage came under william george too hmmmm  just a thought for me to look into

No I hadn't thought of contacting the people you mentioned because alll I knew was he was a soldier not what sort or anything although I had wondered about an army marriage somewhere else.

The mothers surname is definately Rosewell according to birth cert.

I am indebted to you for all that

many many thanks

Teresa

Offline JaneRH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 03:00 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome. If I can be of more help - do get in touch. Yours Jane