Author Topic: Gofton of Monkseaton Tynemouth, anywhere in Northumberland  (Read 35264 times)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Gofton of Monkseaton Tynemouth, anywhere in Northumberland
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
I have just read the message you left me, i'm not surprided my e mail address didn't work as i an rubbish at all this technical stuff. i havent been on a forum before and don't know the rules etc.
I'm logged on here now and can provide info through hee if you like?
cheers Steve Foster
Hi Steve,
  got your email, I've replied.  Talk soon.
Regards
Paul
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 05 June 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
My mam used to work for the Goftons in Monkseaton. I can try to get some info from her if you want?

Mick
Sharp (Yorshire, Durham Northumberland)
Millar, Miller (Bannockburn, Edinburgh)
Brooks, Middleton, Liddle, Sutcliffe

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 06 June 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick,
  that would be great.  Eventually I'd like to be able to get in contact with them so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)

Offline 2ofakind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi I know its been a while since anyone has posted anymore on this but I have just seen it. I am a Gofton and my dad and grandad were Gofton Builders in Monkseaton, if you still would like any info, I might be able to help, both my parents are still living and have good memory's.
Thanks

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I know its been a while since anyone has posted anymore on this but I have just seen it. I am a Gofton and my dad and grandad were Gofton Builders in Monkseaton, if you still would like any info, I might be able to help, both my parents are still living and have good memory's.
Thanks

Brilliant.  I would love to get the details of the descendants of some of the Gofton brothers to complete my tree.  This would mean my great aunt can learn about her cousins.
I will PM you.
BW
Paul
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)

Offline 2ofakind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 11 November 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thats great, I'll print off your message and take it to my parents tonight and hopefully they can fill in the missing gaps, I'm new to this and couldn't see where i reply to your message, it just says delete or reload, so I have just replied on here. I'll get back to you as soon as I find out more  :)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 11 November 11 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

at the very top of the web page above the discussion thread it will say

Welcome back, 2ofakind, you have ? messages, 1 are new.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Friday 11 November 11 15:17 GMT (UK)

You will see if you have messages there and it will take you to the private message options.
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
As evie said previously, the two boys appear on the 1851 Census. Their parents are shown as Joseph and Dorothy and there are several other children too.
This would appear to be their marriage - prior to civil registration I'm afraid so no father's names given.....

Bishop's transcripts for the church of St John, Newcastle-upon-Tyne:

Marriages solemnized in the Parish of St John in the Town & in the County of Newcastle upon Tyne in the Year 1834
No. 615
Joseph Gofton of the Parish of Gosforth in the County of Northumberland and Dorothy Gofton of this Parish were married in this Church by Licence this Fourth Day of May in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty Four.
By me, John Fox
This Marriage was solemnized between us, Joseph Gofton
                                                                     Dorothy Gofton
In the Presence of us, John Donkin
                                    Hannah Foster [Fosters?]

As they share a fairly unusual surname then it seems likely that bride and groom are related in some way. Cousins perhaps?

Lara  :)

When Ralph Gofton died in Australia in 1914,  who was at least 70,  his parents were named as Joseph Gofton and Dorothy Foster.

But when I look for these people,  I find that a Ralph Gofton married a Dorothy Foster at Gosforth in 13 November 1830  ( source Familysearch )    and also a Joseph Gofton married a Dorothy Gofton at Newcastle upon Tyne 4 May 1834.

Rather than Joseph and Dorothy being cousins,  is it possible that these are the same Dorothy,   who married firstly Ralph Gofton in 1830 and secondly Joseph Gofton in 1834 ?   That would explain how Ralph,  who died in 1914,  could claim that his parents were Joseph Gofton and Dorothy Foster.  It would also be consistent with the witness to the 1834 marriage being Hannah Foster.

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
I know it is wrong to do but that is the assumption I've made:
http://paulmcgrath.net/webtrees/individual.php?pid=I108&ged=Gofton%20Family%20Tree
You'll see on the right I've two families for Dorothy, one with Ralph and one with Joseph.  I do have them as brothers from other sources and of course it was very common in those days for brothers to marry their dead siblings wife and take on the family.  Joseph and Dorothy were the same age where as Ralph had been a fair bit older, again not unusual in those days.

Obviously Joseph and Dorothy named one of their sons after Joseph's oler brother.

Don't take it as gispel as someone commented I've a couple of members of descendant families, further down the tree,  wrong and I've got to double check.
BW
Paul
When Ralph Gofton died in Australia in 1914,  who was at least 70,  his parents were named as Joseph Gofton and Dorothy Foster.

But when I look for these people,  I find that a Ralph Gofton married a Dorothy Foster at Gosforth in 13 November 1830  ( source Familysearch )    and also a Joseph Gofton married a Dorothy Gofton at Newcastle upon Tyne 4 May 1834.

Rather than Joseph and Dorothy being cousins,  is it possible that these are the same Dorothy,   who married firstly Ralph Gofton in 1830 and secondly Joseph Gofton in 1834 ?   That would explain how Ralph,  who died in 1914,  could claim that his parents were Joseph Gofton and Dorothy Foster.  It would also be consistent with the witness to the 1834 marriage being Hannah Foster.
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)