Author Topic: Mrs Fortune and her shop  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
Mrs Fortune and her shop
« on: Friday 27 November 09 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace any info about a Mrs Fortune from the Gorey area of Co. Wexford. I have been told that she ran a pharmacy type shop in the 1920's - 30's from her home which is on the R741 road around the area of Ballyedmond / Wellshill / Kilnamanagh. She apparently along with her sons went to England to live & work but later returned back to the area. My interest is with my Grandad, Jack Burke, who worked on Nolan's farm but in the evening. along with other men. played cards at Mrs Fortune's and when she went to England she asked my Grandad to go as well, which he did, never to return to Ireland. I have a few missing years in his life so would like to know where in England they went. The house is still standing on the road but a bit more modern, but on a recent trip I was invited in by the owner and saw where the shop area was and where they played cards !!
A long shot I know with so little to go on, but you never know.....
Cheers
Westy
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Fortune and her shop
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this earlier thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,277680.0.html

Dara.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Fortune and her shop
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
For what its worth there are lots of WexfordFortunes killed in ww1 but only one from Gorey. From the 'Wexford War Dead';
FORTUNE, THOMAS. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 6th Bn. Age at Death: 26. Date of Death: 03-September-1916. Service No: 2020. Born in Moonager, Co Wexford, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Gorey while living in Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas and Ann Fortune of Gorey Hill, Gorey, Co. Wexford. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Enniscorthy Soldier Dies; - The death is announced of Corporal Thomas Fortune, Dublin Fusiliers, second eldest son of Mr Wm Fortune, building contractor, Enniscorthy.
 The sad event occurred in a military hospital in France, and much sympathy is felt with Mr W Fortune in his bereavment. From an article in the Enniscorthy Guardian in 1916; Lance Corporal Thomas Fortune, Gorey, was killed in action on 3rd September last. He joined in November, 1914, the 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment and having undergone a course of training at Fermoy he and his company were sent straight to France, where he went through several important engagements, and in the Battle of Guillemont he met his death by a shell from a trench mortar. The deceased was an expert bomb-thrower and on more than one occasion came under the notice of the authorities, and it is stated that if he had survived he would have been recommended for distinction.
 Grave or Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 3 A. Memorial: Thiepval Memorial in France.