Author Topic: Sarah DALRYMPLE, nee THOMSON- what has happened to her?  (Read 29580 times)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah DALRYMPLE, nee THOMSON- what has happened to her?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 November 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear ... Glamis

What a pity you didn't mention all the previous "work" which has been done on this family, in your introduction to this thread ... especially the items concerning Sarah, her husband and children .. and their whereabouts at different times.    ::)  >:(     

I don't want to spend time wading through all the 28 pages of the Scotland-General board thread, but it does seem to me, from the few pages I did view, that some very helpful information has already been posted - in regard to Sarah ?  (Little Nell amongst others, has made some valuable contributions and suggestions ... from about page 26-27 ?).

AND it's pointless of course to be duplicating here, the information which can be found in the Scotland thread.

Perhaps by reviewing the information already found for Sarah (from Scotland thread), and adding any salient points to this thread, you may stand a better chance of making some progress with this search. ??? 

Lu

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 November 09 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Bit More,

Sarah's daughter, Agnes...
This is from the NZ papers past online site... West Coast Times , Issue 2225, 16 November 1872, Page 2

MARRIAGE.

Hankins— Dalrymple.— On the 26th October, at All Saints' Church, Hokitika, by the Hon. Archdeacon Harper, John Herbert Hankins, of Hokitika, to Agnes Sophia Wemyss, eldest daughter of Mr George Samuel Wemyss Dalrymple, accountant, Hokitika.

Do we know if Sarah was at Hokitika with her husband George in 1872 ???

Cheers,

JM

PS, miss the red warning lights, realise these will return eventually...  ::)  ::)

Yes, a summary of what is known of Sarah would be much appreciated... Thanks Lu for the suggestion...
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 November 09 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Sarah WEMYSS died 1929 Victoria - mentioned by Just Moi - has parents Chas BULL and Jane BOOT so I don't think she is this Sarah.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 November 09 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Not having any success with your Sarah DALRYMPLE :(  Could she have died in NZ?  I understand that not all the bdm's are on the online index.

I found a reference to an Electoral roll listing for an Emilie Eliza Wemyss NICHOLLS, Napier,  in 1893 with reference to Womens Suffrage.  This record is held by the New Zealand Society of Genealogist - St John, PO Box 74212, Market Road, Auckland  1130.

Is this your Arthur Robert's death.

6885/1937     
NICHOLLS  Arthur Robert
Father Charles Henry Sinderby  Mother Sarah Ann
District Granville   

There is this birth in NZ
1854/794  ROBERTS Arthur Robert

and deaths
1888/704   NICHOLLS Charles Henry Sinderly 74 years
and
1883/2662 NICHOLLS Sarah Ann  68 years

Certificates would validate the info if it is the correct Arthur Robert.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 November 09 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a question, if I may...

Sorry, BUT I have not found any of them on any passenger lists between NSW and NZ (from around 1870 - 1871 or any other years either).  Do you have the names of the ships please for those 1870-71 voyages... and also the name of the ship and/or the year of that voyage that brought them to NSW or NZ originally...

I've been looking for Sarah ever since this journey began. She is reported to have been born 1830 Carrickfergus, Ireland, married George Samuel Weymss-Dalrymple (GWD)28/01/1850, Duddingston, Midlothian, Scotland. They can be seen on shipping passenger lists between NSW and NZ with their 3 children, Agnes, Sophia, Weymss-Dalrymple, Emily Eliza and John George around 1870-1871 but then she disappeared. GSWD and the children settled in NZ except Emily Eliza seems to have returned to NSW and got married to a Mr Nicholls. Any ideas on what happened to Sarah? I'd be very relieved to know. GSWD remained on his own ie didn't remarry until his death in Masterton, NZ 1907.
[/i]

Cheers, 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 November 09 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if this is doubling up:

I assume you have seen the photo of GSWD

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/Cyc01Cycl-fig-Cyc01Cycl0961a.html

with written information as well.  It states he he came to New Zealand in the ship “City of Dunedin,” landing at Invercargill in 1863.

No mention of wife or chn.

There is also this reference

http://www.warwickshireonline.com/forum/genealogy/3159-gladys-wheyms-dalrimple-19.html

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 November 09 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Bit More,

July 1871 from various northern ports in Queensland, to Sydney New South Wales, on the ship City of Brisbane, there's a Mr G S Dalrymple (noting it does NOT list him as GSW or as G S Weymess-Dalrymple)... but not accompanied by any other family members...

Cheers,

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 November 09 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks Judith, no I had not got to that bio on G S W Dalrymple... but I've just now read it, thanks for the link... the final sentence reads :

He has in his possession a most interesting collection of old family papers and relics.   ;D  ;D  ::)  ::)

Cheers,

JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 November 09 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Just some 'meat on the bones' info for their son.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07fs/
A snippet about John George Wemyss DALRYMPLE

and his divorce in NSW
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=16
0416  1888  Maggie St Clair DALRYMPLE
               John George Wemyss DALRYMPLE

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk