Author Topic: 1796 Pistol Duel, Jersey Island - Stephen WATTS  (Read 7571 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1796 Pistol Duel, Jersey Island - Stephen WATTS
« on: Saturday 28 November 09 00:19 GMT (UK) »
In November 1796, my ggg grandfather, Captain Stephen WATTS was involved in a pistol duel with Doctor SANDERSON, on Jersey Island. I have quite a number of short English newspaper articles of the day reporting the duel, which my ancestor came off second best, though not killed.

I was just wondering if there might be some Island records of the duel, or of him generally recorded else where?

Captain WATTS was wounded against the Americans in 1777, sent to  Jersey Island, and took command of an Invalid Company on Jersey Island on 12/12/1781. It was on the island that he met Sarah NUGENT, and married her on 17/11/1788 at St.Helier, Jersey. They had 10 children.

An 1806 Military Census has him still on the Island with his wife, however, he was discharged from the army in 1809, and shot himself in London 1810.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1796 Pistol Duel, Jersey Island - Stephen WATTS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 09 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les

I'll have a look for you next week. It's likely that if there is a report, it will be in French.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les

I've looked at the Gazette de Jersey for November/December 1796 and I as thought it is in French which I don't speak. However I looked specifically for the word Watts and I'm afraid I found nothing.

Other papers to hand are scrapbooks which whilst they mention duels in 1799 don't mention this specific one.

The Societe Jersiaiase has a large index but I can find no reference.

The Archive does have mention of SW but only in passing as his Ensign left some money in his will to the poor.

Stewart

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thanks very much for your effort in trying to find out a little more of Stephen WATTS' duel. As I first indicated, I had newspaper accounts of it, but was wondering if there may have been a more detailed account somewhere in local records.

The same article appeared in some 15 different newspapers indicating WATTS was mortally wounded due to the seriousness of his head wound, but I managed to find one another article indicating he was saved by his brother-in-law, a doctor on the island. I know his opponent and both seconds fled the scene but were arrested as duelling was illegal, and murder charges could be laid if a death occurred.

Anyway, once again thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 August 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Just going though the "history" and found you.
There were some famous duels fought in the Channel Islands.
As you might guess dueling was "against the law" but it took place anyway.
From memory, there was one duel (it might or might not be yours) that started in Guernsey but took place in Jersey!

floggle toggle
Wheatley Sussex/Australia, Heasman - Tasker - Tester Sussex, Locock - Wilmington Sussex/Devon, Mankelow Kent

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 August 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your snippet of information Floggle Toggle.

With my ancestor's duel, I presume it started and finished on Jersey, as Captain WATTS was in charge of the Company of Invalids on the island, and the dispute with Doctor SANDERSON involved payment of wages. I started this topic in the hope that I may have found a little more on the duel itself, or his stay on the island

Yes, I find duelling a very interesting subject, and have found many duels mentioned in newspapers of the day. Some of the causes of duels are mind boggling - honour, debt, and I even remember one being when someone was making too much noise. On some ocassions it was a "gentlemans sport"(?) with some opponents even firing into the air, after the their oppponent missed with his first shot.

Les

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 August 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
There is a book in the local library re dueling, I will look at it over the W/E and come back to you.

floggle toggle
Wheatley Sussex/Australia, Heasman - Tasker - Tester Sussex, Locock - Wilmington Sussex/Devon, Mankelow Kent

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 August 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Les

Dunno if you have this clipping already, but here goes:

The Times, Tuesday, Nov 15, 1796; pg. 3; Issue 3741; col B
"A Duel was lately fought in the island of Jersey, between Captain WATTS of the Invalids, and a Mr. SANDERSON of a Fencible Regiment, which had a most fatal issue.  Mr. S's ball took effect in Capt. W.'s head, and was not extracted when the last accounts came from that Island.  This unfortunate contest was occasioned by some reflections passed by Mr. S. on Captain W.'s official conduct as Barrack-Master on the Island."
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 August 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave for that clipping, however, I do have it. In fact that same report appeared in about 15 newspapers of the day, and I was giving up all hope of finding something else about it. But would you believe the very last newspaper report of the incident was about a week later, and was much more detailed, indicating my ancestor fired first, grazing his opponents neck. The opponent returned fire, striking my ancestor in his still raised firing hand, taking off his thumb. The ball then entered his cheek, and lodged in his nose!

This wound obviously was the reason why the other newspapers reported "a most fatal issue", however, the last report also indicated it was my ancestor's brother-in-law (a doctor) who found him seriously wounded after the opponent and both seconds fled the scene. And of course he survived, and had children, otherwise I wouldn't be here today  ;D

Les