Author Topic: Suffolk Surnames List and Cosford Database  (Read 37507 times)

Offline ronfoss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Surnames List and Cosford Database
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 January 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
hi there kevan i was also related to ray he was my 4 cousin i am also related to monique we have help each other its a sad loss of ray lets hope we can some form back its was good for so many people in sufflok surnames
ronfoss

Offline AbbieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 January 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I will be speaking with Ray's widow again and there is someone willing to take on Ray's web site, of course it will be Ray's family who decide what will happen.

The Framlingham Photographic Archive is coming along nicely and as soon as that is up and running, I am hoping to get the Surnames List back on air.

Pat ...

I see that in your list of names you list Fisk as one you are interested in.  I am related to the fisks of Laxfield, my great grandmother being Elsie Priscilla Fisk.  I have only just joined this site so not sure of the protocol as yet.
Regards
Abbie C :)
Suffolk....  Keeble, Johnson, Fisk, Aggis, Vince, Creek
Lancashire.......  Whitehead, Williams,

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 January 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Abbie and Welcome to the wonderful world of Rootschat  :D  :D  :D

Have you found the definitive web site for Fisk/e researchers yet?

You must have a look at Hugh's web site which does have the Laxfield branch

http://www.fiskes.co.uk/

The Suffolk Surnames List website is a listing of peoples surname interests in the county and a great deal of information for familyhistory research in Suffolk.

My husband's Fisk's were in Framlingham - not too far from Laxfield.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 January 10 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I can still get the Cosford Database at http://web.archive.org/web/20071223225255/www.cosford-database.co.uk/
It doesn't always work properly, but with perseverance it is passable.

Offline Paul R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 January 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I have only just heard of Ray's death.  He was my sixth cousin and it was only through John Hanson's research and the work Ray did to put it on the web that I found a branch of my family going back to the 17th century.  My belated condolences to his family and friends.

Regarding the website, I raised a support call with the hosting company, PlusNet, and below is part of the reply I got.  In summary, it looks as though the website was removed when PlusNet discontinued their FrontPage service.   They went on to mention what we have already discovered, that some of the content is on the Web Archive (Wayback Machine).   Unfortunately the Foskew branch (my line) is not present.

"Dear Mr Robinson,
Thank you for your query. Unfortunately for data protection reasons we are not able to disclose why the site may have been removed or moved on by the site owner.  However if the owner of the site is now deceased this may have been removed when we discontinued the frontpage service.

If this is the case the next of kin for the customer would need to contact us to request if we still have a copy of this and to discuss the best way of putting this back.

If you are interested in taking over the site then you may wish to discuss with the next of kin migrating the domain to yourself and this is still hosted and registered by us as indicated on the public whois record for the domain.

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=cosford-database.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=52&WHOIS+Submit.y=4"

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul,

Ray and I were web partners and friends for several years.

At first it was too soon for his widow to consider what to do with the web  site, now - almost a year and a half later we are hoping to get it sorted out this year.  Since November when I first wrote about the web sites, we are now fully aware of why the websites went down.

I certainly put notices on all the relevant message boards and mailing lists at the time of Ray's illness and at his passing.  I also had a guest book and together with the guest book on Ray's web site, everyone left messages - which the family read regularly.

So please - can we not have speculation and just let his widow and I sort things out.

I have said that there is someone willing to take it over.  We just have to get family agreement.

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Paul R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 January 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat,

I've been out of touch on the family history front recently and that is why I hadn't heard the sad news about Ray.

I'm sorry if I've been sticking my nose in where it's not required.  I was just trying to help. 

Best regards,
Paul

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 January 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
No problem Paul, but I hope researchers realise that I am working on getting the web site restored asap.

One of the children will be getting married this year, Ray will not be there, I know how proud he would have been.

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
At the moment you can find the Surnames website at

http://www.terryaspinall.com/suffolk-surname-list/index.html

I am very grateful to dear Terry Aspinall in Australia for helping out at this time.

Do have a look around his own web site too lots of interesting Suffolk pages.

Pat ...
Suffolk Surnames List
I have to find two more!