Author Topic: Whisky  (Read 1928 times)

Offline jimrobertson24

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whisky
« on: Saturday 28 November 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

My Great Grandfather worked at Knockando distillery in the 1920's and I was wondering if there was such a thing as whisky industry archives, photos, employee records etc

Jim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Whisky
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

There will be lots of history I am sure for you to follow up on - just google the Knockando distillery and you will see a number of links. There is this one for example, with contact details at the bottom for the Visitors' Centre at the Knockando Distillery www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/knockando.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather worked at Knockando distillery in the 1920's and I was wondering if there was such a thing as whisky industry archives, photos, employee records etc

As far as I know there is no central repository of archives about the whisky industry. You'd need to contact the present owners of the distillery to find out whether there are any such archives.

I see that the distillery was established in 1898, and that it was bought by Gilbey's in 1904, thereby now becoming part of Diageo, which used to be called The Distillers' Company Limited (DCL) - the largest company in the whisky industry. So there is a reasonable chance that employee records were kept in the 1920s, though whether they have survived is a different matter. Try contacting Diageo to ask if they have a group archivist.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimrobertson24

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 December 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank You  ;D