Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 73082 times)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
hello jane , you will be descended from william mclaren born in 1818 then. i am descended from his older sister catharine born 1808/9. she married a donald mclaren in 1837. i have so far in my family tree 3 pairs of mclarens marrying each other !
yes the cottage will be certainly different from even the 70's and 80's now. remember as a child going on holidays at an aunt's , with the old black range cooker in the kitchen , takes me back.

here is a photo attached of about 1906 , with presumably mclaren children outside.      gordon

Offline janewasmaclaren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 23 July 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

thank you so  much for photo, it look just as i remember it in the 70,s and 80,s, strange to think we both went to visit the same aunt all those years ago.  Do you also remember Aunt Mary and Aunt Ruby that were neighbours of Aunt peg!! From what I can remember Aunt Peg (who lived in Briar cottage) was born in 1900 she never married, her brother William was my grandfather.  I do have pictures of both my aunt and the cottage but will have to find them and put them on the computer if you are interested.

Jane

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 23 July 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
sorry jane
       the aunt i'm referring to was on an estate at crieff , (she was on my mother's side)i was just meaning their would be similarities in the internal layout. i have just recently been doing the research with my family tree , and have gotten back to easter achra , dalveich , and ardveich area.
apologies for the misunderstanding again.
                                                                   gordon
p.s glad you like the photo jane , if you put another post on then you can put a personal message to me with your e mail address , i would like to be able to see the cottage as it was before refurbishment , if you have photos. it would also be nice to correspond with a distant cousin. i have photos of my g/grandfather etc , and they have what you would say the distinct "mclaren" look.
yours gordon mclaren , blairgowrie

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 07 August 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
found this on the opr for balquidder for 1728 in searching for mclarens. my ancestors listed are on the 5th May Robert & Margaret Mclaren had their son baptised John.
Not just this that was interesting look at the 21st May and it has a couple ? not easy to read , but as servants to Rob Roy.

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 08 August 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
found this on the opr for balquidder for 1728 in searching for mclarens. my ancestors listed are on the 5th May Robert & Margaret Mclaren had their son baptised John.
Not just this that was interesting look at the 21st May and it has a couple ? not easy to read , but as servants to Rob Roy.

Gordon, how amazing! I didn't know much about Rob Roy and found this on Wikipedia:

"Balquhidder (Scottish Gaelic: Both Chuidir)..............The MacLarens acquired the district as early as the 9th century and occupied it for several hundred years until forced to share the area by the MacGregors, a neighbouring clan, who had repeatedly raided their lands, and, in 1558 slew the chief and many of his followers. Balquhidder was the scene of some of the exploits of Rob Roy, who died there in 1734. The local kirkyard is his final resting place, his grave marked with the appropriately defiant motto 'MacGregor Despite Them'. He lies with the remains of his wife and two sons, the graves marked by three flat stones. One of these is contemporary, but the remaining two are re-used medieval grave monuments".

This is of interest as my 4xgreat grandparents, Janet McLaren and John Carmichael married in Balquidder on 3 June 1769. Unfortunately I know nothing else about Janet.

Margaret :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 03 October 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
LOL so laughed when I read that "servants of Rob Roy gotten in fornication had a child baptised John"  Trust the clergy!  ::)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 07 October 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have Peter McLaren or McLaron marrying Mary Taylor in 1780, Methven, Perthshire and their daughter Mary born 1787, anyone?

Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have a Katherine Mclaren married to a Archibald Clark  in 1809 Killin.   I got the information fom Janet Clark (daughter) death cert. Katherines parents were James Mclaren & Katherine Thomson.  Anybody got them in your family?
Thanks.

Suz
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 31 October 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
hi smcb

think i have something re your Clarks and McLarens . been looking back your posts and you refer to Cloichran , south side of Loch Tay.  i have a Donald McLaren marrying a Mary Mclaren at Killin in 1802 , their children were born at Croftfeunaig and Cambusurich , the eldest being Malcolm born 1803.
Now assuming scottish naming protocol is correct Donald's father should be a Malcolm too. i have found a Donald born at Cloichran , to a Malcolm McLaren and Kath Crosby , and baptised on 18 November 1782.
Looking at old maps all 3 places , Cloichran , Cambusurich and Croftfeunaig are all within 600/800 metres of each other.
Coincidence maybe? very close though. could your Catharine McLaren , be named after her mother Kath Crosby. I take it your Catherine born between 1780/88?

can e mail you OPR for 18th Nov 1782 , Cloichran , if you leave me a PM , with your email address.       yours Gordon

see this link for a picture of Cloichran.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/78477