Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 73094 times)

Offline mwanza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 07 November 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with any information on a James McLaren born 1863 in Amulree, nr Dunkeld? Went to London as a boy. Why did he leave his parents so young? Father name is James (as was so common). I cannot trace back further.

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 28 November 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Suz
I have noticed that in Killin OPRs Clerk/Clark is often written as Nclerich or Ncleric or Mclerich when you get back into the 18th century - I think the "N" was used when it was a female child. Might help in your searches!
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 06 December 10 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Thought i would put a map to show where Cloichran is at Loch Tay.  ;)

Offline AlanEadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 16 January 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patvp,

My first posting.  I note that you are interested in McLarens in Callander.  I have a Christian McLaren born in Callander about 1787 she was the ninth child of David McLaren and Janet MacNab who were married on 17th July 1768.  The other children of David and Janet that I have were Archibald b1769; Patrick b1770; Robert b1773; Catherine b1775; Elisabeth b1777; James b1779; Jean b1782; and another Archibald b1783.   My interest in this Christian McLaren (and I appreciate that there were other Christian McLarens born about this time in Callander) is that she married James Eadie at Aberfoyle in Feb 1816. 

Alan Eadie
Eadie - Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire
Howland - Yorkshire

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 16 January 11 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
Have you found Christian and James in any censuses?
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline AlanEadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 16 January 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valr,

Not for James -  I suspect that he may have died in the Glasgow cholera epidemic in 1832

Yes for Christian.  In the 1841 census when she had remarried to a George McLuckie and had two of her Eadie children with her.  I also have her death certificate for 23rd August 1863 when she died a pauper in Shettleston.

Alan
Eadie - Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire
Howland - Yorkshire

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 16 January 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan - Sometimes looking for McLarens is like looking for the proverbial needle  ;D. My McLarens from Callender are...

Archibald McLaren 1766 Callander son of John McLaren and Helen McQueen.
Archibald himself also married a Helen McQueen in 1796.
Their children...
John McLaren 1797 and James 1799 ..on the 1851 census both with their sister (Margaret) and b-i-l Daniel Ferguson at Rednock Mill.
Marion McLaren 1801 married David Drysdale.
Christian 1803 No info (as yet)  :D
Robert 1805 in 1841 listed with Catherine McGregor poss wife ??
Mary 1809 No info.
And of course Margaret 1811 who married Daniel/Donald Ferguson they lived (most of the time Port of Monteith) she died 1882 in Logie Perthshire.

Hope this makes some sense.

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline AlanEadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 17 January 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patvp,

Thanks for your details.  Yes I am still wildly thrashing the haystack and getting nowhere.  There seem to be even more McLarens around than there are Eadies'.

Regards.

Alan
Eadie - Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire
Howland - Yorkshire

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 04 February 11 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon

as previously stated
Katharine Mclaren born 24 AUG 1786 in Killin, Perthshire married Archibald Clark 1 JAN 1809 Killin, Perthshire
Her parents: James Mclaren and Katharine Thomson (b.13 JUN 1768 in Kenmore) married 19 june 1785 they also had Alexander Mclaren 17 SEPT 1788 in Killin, Perthshire.

In the 1841 census Katharine & Archibald are staying at Cloichran/Clocheran and Archibald is still there in 1851.

Now you mentioned that you found a
 Malcolm Mclaren and Kath Crosby having  a daughter Katharine born 1785 Killin.

hi smcb

think i have something re your Clarks and McLarens . been looking back your posts and you refer to Cloichran , south side of Loch Tay.  i have a Donald McLaren marrying a Mary Mclaren at Killin in 1802 , their children were born at Croftfeunaig and Cambusurich , the eldest being Malcolm born 1803.
Now assuming scottish naming protocol is correct Donald's father should be a Malcolm too. i have found a Donald born at Cloichran , to a Malcolm McLaren and Kath Crosby , and baptised on 18 November 1782.
Looking at old maps all 3 places , Cloichran , Cambusurich and Croftfeunaig are all within 600/800 metres of each other.
Coincidence maybe? very close though. could your Catharine McLaren , be named after her mother Kath Crosby. I take it your Catherine born between 1780/88?

Now I am really stuck because previously I didnt think she fitted in..but now I definately think she does....cloichran, etc is just sooo close and she may have been one of the mclarens that married Clarks living at Cloichran!  I am sure I definately have read about Clarks at this farm but cannot remember where.

any more Idea Gordon?

kind regards
suzie
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh