Author Topic: Can you identify this "Thing"?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline CeBe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify this "Thing"?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Completed - with thanks

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 04:09 GMT (UK) »
It's either a vesta case or a card case.  A vesta case should have a rough bit where you can strike and light the vesta (the early form of a matchstick)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline CeBe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I think I must agree with OLDTIMER who first suggested it to be a vesta box. I think from the size of it (I put the measurements in the first post) that it is probably too small for any serious smoker to have placed his "smokes" / cigarettes.

My next task is too find out what story it tells from all the symbols it has on it. I tried a "masonic symbols" Google but didn't have much luck there. Any Masons out there who have suggestions?

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Masonic symbols, then do google images - above where you put in the words you want to google, there is a line that says "web, images, books, more, etc" and you click on the one that says images - I've just tried and there are loads of hits that look quite useful at first sight.

Apologies if you've tried this already
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline CeBe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have tried it and got somewhat confused. I'll try to find a book or something.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Just had a closer look.  I can see exactly what you mean!  ;)
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 January 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
If you know the name of the person it belonged to & their dates ie DOB & DOB,  the Freemasons will do a free search of their archives for you,  it takes about 2 months.  No dates their can be a charge.
Just google Freemasons & go to their own website.  You can call them & ask advice as well. 
My aunts husband was a Freemason & they are looking into his "time" with them for me.  I must say they were very helpful when I called & after fillling out their form, the return email was also very helpful.  Just waiting for the results of my query now.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline CeBe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I will give that a try as I do know his birth and death dates, etc.

CeBe

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a reply from a freemason of 30+ years standing and here's his reaction after viewing your object:-

<<Looks very interesting but although there are some symbols which could be masonic, most of it means nothing to me. That is not to say that it wouldn't make sense to a higher qualified mason.>>

Good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke