Author Topic: Meeting with some success, whoopee!!  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Meeting with some success, whoopee!!
« on: Saturday 12 March 05 11:04 GMT (UK) »

;D

When I last posted  my request on this board I was not sure whether gr grandfather came from Galway, Josi (for the Geoghegan clan) had suggested he might have come from there) now at last it seems she was right,

I have at last tracked Stephen Geoghan down, got his death certificate, he died in 1913, his wife & children were in the Stoke on Trent workhouse in 1881 census, three of the children were sent to Canada in 1885 (including my grandfather, their surname changed to Gagan) because Louisa remarried in 1885, the certificate stated she was a widow, I searched and searched in vain for Stephen`s death from before 1881 up to 1885 and a bit beyond, but never had any success, concluded that he may have gone back to Ireland, deserted her?

Now I find that he died in 1913, and in Liverpool, then traced him on the Liverpool 1901 census, he was then living in lodgings.
Now, this means Louisa was a bigamist when she remarried!! she took a chance, there was banns published, so in that period of time before the wedding (in church) anyone could have come forward and said that husband No 1 was alive, but that did not happen, did her second husband know she was NOT a widow? I wonder... I am now trying to track down when she died, no luck so far( her name would have been Louisa Davis, and she married in Stafford)

I am so hoping I can now obtain Stephen`s birth certificate, still do not know of course which parish he came from, it has been suggested to me that he may have come from West Galway, since he was a Tailor, and many tailors were in that area, any advice on this would be so appreciated.

So, if anyone is researching the name of GEOGHAN would they please please make contact with me, gt grandfathers`s name was, STEPHEN GEOGHAN born abt 1841, his father was LAWRENCE GEOGHAN this is the spelling I have on all the certs, and also on the 1871 & 1901 census, he obviously knew how to spell his name (his wife Louisa however, being unable to read, had errors on several of the birth certs for the children, sometimes her maiden name was given as Pattison instead of PaDDison, but then she would not have been aware of that)
Grandfather & his sisters were sent to Canada in 1885 and the spelling of their surname was changed to Gagan.
The eldest son Patrick, was not with them, he was 13 years old when in the workhouse in 1881, and I have been unable to trace him either, perhaps he went to Ireland with his father???
Father of Stephen was Lawrence, he too was a master tailor, perhaps he remained in Ireland???

Any information would be so appreciated, can anyone offer advice??  thank you
Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)