Author Topic: Need help with Reeds of Bristol  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Cariad fach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help with Reeds of Bristol
« on: Tuesday 01 December 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,
I have hit a brick wall and I need help!!  I am the great, great, granddaughter of William BAteman Reed of Clifton, Bristol.  He was a builder and hotel Proprietor in Clifton, Bristol.  He was llisted as residing in Albert Lodge in 1841 and then built the Queen's hotel ( now a Habitat store) on Queen's road and lived across the street in The Queen's Villa until his death in 1880.  On his oath of a Burgess(1838) it gives his father's name as Thomas Reed, Cabinet Maker.  I know that Thomas was married to a MAtilda Bateman.  That is all I can find.  I would very dearly like to trace farther back and find any info on THomas Reed...who was his father and grandfather.  In addition, I would like to find a Birth Certificate for William BAteman, or parish records for any other Christenings of Thomas and MAtilda. If you could provide any information, or links that I might try for research I would be greatly appreciative.  Thank you
Trickett/JAcksons from Newark to Caerphilly, South Wales
Ancestors of William Bateman Reed, Ralph Newbury Reed
The Villa Clifton, Cragg Northumberland

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Reeds of Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Cariad,

In http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(A-M).htm#B you will find a batch of info extracted from St Andrew's church records - M172532.

In http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,275211.0.html you will find another batch from Clifton and two methods of searching batches but the second is the easier.

I have searched the batches and have "experimented" by adding 1 or 2 to the batch numbers.  Changing the M to a C also bore fruit.  I wonder where the the male baptisms are?  If you happen to find them during any of your experimenting, please let us know.

I think you'll find the the above interesting as you certainly will a 100 year old map of Clifton to be found at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.htm

Sorry I cannot answer your specific query.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Cariad,

Further to my last:  in the resources messages index you will find reference to Trade directories and following the link you can be taken to Mathews' Bristol and Clifton Directory, 1851.  Select image 188 of the directory and you'll see Wm B Reed.

The other directories might help too but I leave that to you.

Regards

Chas.
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 December 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I found this:

Matilda Reed   d. January 17th 1831
She was the wife of Thomas Reed, cabinet maker of Merchant Street and was 37 when she died 'laving 8 children to lament the loss of an affectionate parent'.

http://www.bristolinformation.co.uk/

Doesn't help that much with tracing Thomas Reed's family, but gives you an address and a death date for Matilda.

Regards,
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cariad fach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 09 03:22 GMT (UK) »
THank you everyone for your input!!!  I have found some loose facts about some Reeds..that have the right time line...but I call them "loose" because I cannot find any connecting documents or records on any sight to put them all together...... and thank you for the bit about MAtilda BAteman Reed...I had no idea of her death date.. or address....and the IGI only had 6 kids listed for her....so that tells me I need to find 2 more somewhere.....  I would love some more help if anyone can find a sight that can link Isaac Reed and MAry Addis to a son THomas...and if that son Thomas married ELizabeth Thomas...and if they had a son THomas that married my Matilda.....  I am pretty much solid from there down...I just cannot find anything to suuport the links backwards.... ( I may be claiming strangers as relations....lol)

1.  Isaac Reed and Margarett Addis – Married St Mary’s Redcliffe, 26 December 1756
   Isaac Reed – son
   Thomas Reed – Son

2.  Thomas Reed and Elizabeth Thomas – Married St. James Bristol, 23 December 1784
   Thomas Reed – son

3.  Thomas Reed and Matilda Bateman – Married St. James Bristol, 25 December 1811
   William Bateman Reed – son
   Elizabeth Reed –
   Ann Maria Reed
   Julia Ann Reed
   Mary Ann Reed
   Matilda Reed   
   Unknown
   Unknown

THank you again,
Jessica
Trickett/JAcksons from Newark to Caerphilly, South Wales
Ancestors of William Bateman Reed, Ralph Newbury Reed