Author Topic: Ellen Rooney. St.Helens, Lancs.  (Read 18740 times)

Offline nieve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Rooney. St.Helens, Lancs.
« Reply #45 on: Monday 25 January 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Well everybody, just a quick update on the elusive Ellen.
Haydock Lodge:-   Lancashire Records Office referred me to St.Helens Local History & Archives Library and they have replied stating that they have not been able to find a death from the records available, or any mention of her in the registers that they hold.
They suggested that I contact St.Helens Townships Family History Society who may do research for a fee.    I feel reluctant to do this as I find it hard to justify spending any more money/time on this lady.  I feel that Rootschatters have done perhaps as good a search as they would do.   I  may be wrong but 'whatever'.    Nieve.

Offline carole oh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Just been reading your posts on Ellen Rooney. Have you ever tried going to the Gamble central library. I had the same problem with my GGrandfather, so went to look at records there and discovered he was killed in a pit accident. So you could give it a go who knows what you might find.
Do you know what part of Ireland she was from? Kind Regards caroleoh

Offline nieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole oh,
I'm sorry not to have answered before but I'm just catching up!    Firstly I don't live in the St.Helens area but I wrote to the Local History Archives at the Gamble Building and they kindly did a search but could find no trace.    Incidentally, Ellen was born in St.Helens, her parents were Irish born.   Thank you for your interest.    Nieve

Offline carole oh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nieve I do live in St Helens, can you tell me all you know about Ellen i.e date of birth etc.
Have you tried looking in the records for Prescot as years ago that was the main reg district.
i would be willing to look up any records for you.T here is also a good website you could look at just type in Lancashire opc, if you know what district of St Helens she was born that site could be useful but I must stress it does'nt cover it all ,but worth a try.
 Please let me know if you need my help. Kind Regards caroleoh

Offline carole oh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Nieve,
        Just been looking through your earlier posts, I found the record of marriage for Patrick and Ellen, Prescot, June 1878.
 Could'nt find death for Ellen but could have found a burial for Patrick.
 I looked up the St Helens cemetery records and found an entry for a Patrick Rooney  14/ 10/ 1922 this Patrick was 70 yrs , but what I found interesting was ,there are 3 people who share the grave who were called Moran.
 There was also a Thomas Rooney died aged only 18yrs in 1903  . The grave  ref is section 20, grave no 65. Hope this helps caroleoh

Offline nieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole oh.   Thank you for your messages   I have found that grave site before. What a good site!!   I don't know who the Corbetts were but the rest could be family, because from all the census details Patrick must have always been on good terms with the Morans.   In the past I have been in touch with Haydock Lodge, Prescot, St.Helens, Haydock and Warrington Registry Offices, but no luck.    If you fancy 'having a go' you are more than welcome and I would be very grateful.     Our Ellen Moran was born in 1861 in St.Helens, marrying  Patrick 5.5.1878 at Holy Cross Church.  They had 4 children:-  John, Ellen, Thomas, Patrick Joseph, all on the 1891 census, but it is there that Patrick calls himself a 'widow'.    I have looked under both maiden and married name so where she got to is anybody's guess.                     Nieve.

Offline carole oh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nieve, I will have a  nosy round for you I know Holy Cross church very well, It's the family church of my husbands family , my husband attended Holy Cross school, so I will let you know if I find anything. Best Wishes caroleoh

Offline nieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a bunch - look forward to hearing from you.     Nieve.

Offline carole oh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neive ,Just a quick question, have you ever wondered did Ellen die in child birth? it's possible she did has her youngest was born1866, it could be the reason for her death . Dying during child birth was very common then.
 Also found a ref for a death record for a Ellen Rooney, 1866, aged 28yrs, so give or take a year that could be right.
The only thing is it was in the reg distict of West Derby which is a part of liverpool,only a few miles from St Helens. Kind Regards caroleoh