Author Topic: Neill family in Toronto  (Read 4188 times)

Offline ednaj

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neill family in Toronto
« on: Tuesday 01 December 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if someone has any information including death of William Maxwell Neill born 1868 in Ireland, married Louisa Marion and emigrated to Toronto in 1908 with 4 children. I have no information after the 1911 census and wanted to know if either of them died there.
Thank you
Neill Ireland Toronto Winnipeg Vancouver
Joiner Ireland Ontario

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Neill family in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Could this be your William:

U.S. Naturalization record for William Maxwell Neill.  William was age 55 and was a Salvation Army Officer.  He was white, medium complexion, 5'10", 167 pounds, light? brown hair, brown eyes.

William was born in Belfast, Ireland on 6 June 1868.  He was living at 33 Harmosa? Apartments, Seattle Washington.  He emigrated to America from Winnipeg, Canada on the G.N. Ry.

William's wife's name was Louisa, who was born in London, England.  She was residing in Winnipeg, Canada.

He arrived in America on 7 August 1923, Pembina?, North Dakota.

The paper was signed 15 August 1923.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Could William and Louisa be buried in St. James Anglican, Carleton Place Cemetery, Ramsay, Lanark, County?
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php
There are several Neill individuals buried in this cemetery.

PS  Welcome to RootsChat.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ednaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much. This is William and Louisa. I don't know how you did it, I have tried everything to see where they went. I now know I am searching in the wrong country.
What a wonderful site, you are all so helpful.
Thanks again
Regards
Edna
Joiner Ireland Ontario

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edna:

If William and Louisa are buried in Lanark County, then William returned to Ontario, Canada.

I had to leave before I finished "looking around"...I will search more now to see if I can find anything further about the couple.

Do you know if their children returned to Ireland?

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,422521.0.html

Link to other thread on this family.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Karen.  :)

Edna:

You can search the following site for William in the Toronto Directory:
http://www.archive.org/details/torontodirec191200midiuoft
Note:  I only checked 1912...William is shown living at 318 Concord av.  His place of employment was "bkpr Employers' Liability Assce..." (page 1068)
I usually read the documents "on line".

(If you want to see other directories, in the search area, type Toronto Directory.)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Louisa?  Louisa Marion Neill, died 12 January 1971, age 99.  Place: Vancouver, British Columbia.  (If so, the above cemetery information most likely is not for her.)

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/textual/governmt/vstats/v_events.htm

Offline ednaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all.
Lisa the site you suggested has the deaths in Vancouver of both Louisa and daughter Marion Pilch Neill, who must never have married. Also there is a William in Vancouver died 1954 that ties in with his birth date.
The children never came to Ireland, I presume they stayed in Canada or America, now I shall look for the others. Quite difficult with the common name of William Neill.
This is wonderful to get this information, you are all so kind.
Regards
Edna
Joiner Ireland Ontario