Author Topic: Alnwick Parish records 'completed'  (Read 16089 times)

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alnwick Parish records 'completed'
« on: Wednesday 02 December 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to Alnwick, Northumberland parish records, I have an IGI marriage
for Thomas Eltis and Mary Ogle 24 May 1746, at Alnwick Northumberland.
    I am wondering if the entry in the parish register gives any indication where they came from
 and if there might be baptisms for either of them recorded in the period 1720 to 1729.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
 I have read some of the other posts since posting this message and have found the Bishops transcripions which commence in 1777 ( I now really appreciate the task that transcribers face, deciphering the writing ). It would appear that the earlier parish records are held at Newcastle Central Libary, so I could be stuck with my request.
    I had hoped that there may have been a transcription on CD somewhere. I am in Oz so a trip to Newcastle is out.
     My next generation after the marriage of Thomas Eltis and Mary Ogle in 1746 is a son John Eltis christened Alnwick  14 Oct 1753.
     Do these names ring a bell with anyone? 
 wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
The parish records are also on microfilm at Northumberland archives, Woodhorn.  Alas, I have been there today!

If no-one has found what you are looking for I'll try to get there again next week.

Information on Alnwick and the relevant records can be found here -

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Alnwick/index.html

Christine

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Christine,
                Thank you , that is more than I could have hoped for. Meanwhile I will check out the web site.
 Wyanga

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 09 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
                   If you do get a chance to check the microfiche for my marriage of Thomas Eltis and Mary Ogle 24 May 1746 at Alnwick, Ihave found more children that I feel confident belong to that marriage.
       Elizabeth Eltis 26 Jul 1747
       John Eltis        14 Oct 1753
       William Eltis    July 1756
       Mary Eltis       6 Aug 1758       I feel there should be a Thomas too, but I have not found one
    All are IGI christening extracts for Alnwick and Thomas is given as father for each.
  I have Mary Ogle's in families at Hartburn; Hepburn and Bolam as well as further North at Carham.
  I am hoping the marriage may indicate a parish for her, if she hasn't been born in Alnwick. 

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 December 09 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I'll see what I can find.  The archives are closed on Monday and Tuesday so it will be Wednesday when I go.

Christine

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
 Christine,
                  Thank you, I will keep my fingers crossed. I see that you have another look up to do as well, so I really appreciate your efforts.
     An aside on names, I see that the Ogle name is an old Norman name linked to the first Duke of Northumberland, about the mid 1000"s. The Eltis name seems to be more obscure.
  Wyanga

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 09 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Ogle is a local name and there is also a village of Ogle.

There's also at least one other person on here looking into the name.  If you haven't already checked you might find some connections

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Some info though not necessarily what you wanted!

I have verified that the marriage is in the parish records.  There is nothing listed against Mary which implies that she was resident in Alnwick at the time but not that she was born there.  I did check baptisms back to 1715 but didn't find her.

Thomas however was shown as being from Embleton - again no guarantee that he was born there.  While waiting for another Alnwick microfilm I did a quick check on Embleton baptisms 1715 - 1730 but found no sign of Thomas.  Some of the records are bad to see (very faded) so he could have been there but unlikely.

As for their children - I found another two (wonder why they are not in the extracted records on IGI?)

Ann baptised 23 April 1749 and Robert 24 March 1751 - still no Thomas!

I also verified the others which you listed.

Christine