Author Topic: Alnwick Parish records 'completed'  (Read 16090 times)

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick Parish records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 December 09 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Christine and Michael,
   Thanks to both of you I am still improving my knowledge of the local scene. I have also now found Facey Park and I can add that we Aussies probably mutilated the word "hind" into farm hand and station hand.
    That extract on the bastardy orders is only very limited and the full record may reveal more on the Eltis family.
   My connection is to the son John b1753 who had what I presume to be, an illigitimate child, Isabella , with Jane McCleod or McLeod in May 1776. IGI names both mother and father so this normally signifies an illigitimate birth, and I can find no marriage record for John and Jane McCleod.
    But wait there is more to my illustrious heritage_
   Isabella Eltis then had an illigitimate child , Mary Ann Bacon Eltis 18 Jun 1797. Christened Alnwick
   From the records at this end Isabella then got into trouble with the law and was convicted 4th Oct 1798 at Northumberland and sentenced to transportation 7 years.
   She arrived Sydney aboard the "Earl Cornwallis" 6 th June 1801 with a child Mary Ann Bacon Eltis.
   Isabella then married Michael Rock, a convict who had been sentenced to Life in Derby, Derbyshire 15.3.1794 and arrived in Australia in 1798. It is from this union that I am descended. (At least I can claim to be Australian from within 10 years of first settlement in 1788)
   This has got away from the issue of Alnwick, but I might add that the Eltis family seemed to "melt away". By the 1841 and 1851 census there are very few Eltis's recorded.
   I have a John Eltis b abt 1813 Alnwick married to Mary (1861 census)
  and John Eltis b abt 1819  Wylam Northumberland also married to Mary (1851 census)
   I have a christening for this last one 17th July 1819 , Inderpendent, Horsley By Wylam, with father Robert and mother Mary.  I assume that this is most likely the Robert that we have christened Alnwick 24 Mar 1751.
   Perhaps the Eltis men emmigrated.
  There is a Mary Eltis that married John Stamp, Alnwick,31 May 1740, this may have been a sister to our Thomas that married Mary Ogle in 1746.
   Sorry I have rambled on here
 Wyanga

Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 December 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting background - mine are all boring ag labs and mariners/fishermen.  A few home grown skeletons but nothing exciting.

Maybe the Eltis name didn't disappear - don't forget that not all parishes are covered by IGI.  Keep checking freereg - Northumberland records are going on as we speak - not many yet but growing.

Christine

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 December 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »

The name Eltis, itself is interesting in that the National Trust surname profiler site  shows it exclusively to be centred in Northumberland ( as at 1881) But it does not register at all for 1998.

Looking at Eltis on censuses from 1841-1901 , 31 of them is the most recorded in 1881 then reducing to 9 in 1901.

On the 1911 census there were 33, 23 of them in County Durham.

My current Tel Directory shows none in Newcastle and North Tyneside.

Maybe the name transmogrified (sorry about that) into something else ?
Ellis ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 December 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Just checked - none in the Northumberland directory either.

C

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
 There are also very few Public member trees on Ancestry that contain "Eltis". Those that are there are mostly linked to the Isabella- Michael Rock marriage that I mentioned above.
  The Ogle's are much more prolific. I will have to try and weave my way through them, but with only the Mary that married Thomas Etis in 1746 as a starting point and without parents names it is a daunting task.
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:28 GMT (UK) »
 I think that I have taken up enough of your time on this subject and you both have been most helpfull but you have others that also need help. Have a Happy Christmas and thank you once again. You may see me back again looking for Ogles in the future
 Wyanga

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick Parish records 'completed'
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:53 GMT (UK) »
You're more than welcome - and a Happy Christmas to you too

C

Offline rentaship

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
High House Farm Bebside
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
New to RootsChat but originally hail from the Bebside and Cowpen area and have an interest.

A little bit of history that interests me is as follows:

My grandparents James(Jim) and Jemima (Mima) Walker were caretakers at the Welfare Hall, Bebside until sometime in the fifties. On leaving the Welfare Hall, they did not want to be publicans, they moved to stay with my parents, Ralph and Isabel Carnaby, in Dovedale Avenue. Grandfather became an attendant at the pithead baths and was lucky enough to have his name drawn from the hat, to become part of the demolition team, when the pit closed.

It is the references to High House Farm that have caught my attention. I spent many happy hours there and even ended up with an after school, work, job until my early twenties.  I see that the name Liddell keeps appearing but should it not be Little?  I have some pages from undated electoral rolls and they refer to Little rather than Liddell, James and Sarah.

They had a son, James who farmed at Follansby, South Shields and a daughter Madge(Margaret?) who was married to a minister from the Scottish borders area. James as far as I am aware was divorced and his ex wife, Mary, lived in Front Street. He had a son James and a daughter Eileen who stayed with her mother in Bebside.  Madge had a daughter Avril.  Can anyone fill in any dates or provide any information on the Madge side of the family?

When James and Sarah retired he moved to Front Street.

I had always believed that James owned the farm but doubt is now in my mind as according to the sales catalogue for the farm it was sold on 10th April 1957 at the Town Hall Morpeth on behalf of John Anderson, deceased.  A figure of £3,900 has been written on the document.

The buyer was Henry (Harry) and Annie Harper who farmed it until they retired. Who bought it thereafter is unknown to me.  Last time I passed, it was in a severe state of disrepair.

I can add more if anyone is interested.

Peter
Bebside, Cowpen, Blyth,

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick Parish records 'completed'
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 February 11 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter and welcome to rootschat  :)

Can I suggest that you start a new thread for your queries and information as it's likely to get lost on this old one.

Christine