Author Topic: update for George Lloyd 1815 Bristol  (Read 5529 times)

Offline chrismon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
update for George Lloyd 1815 Bristol
« on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:36 GMT (UK) »
George was my G.G.Grandfather who married Mary Singleton at Whittingham N.S.W. 13-6-1840.The info so far.

1842     insolvency -   Gov. Gazette .
1846     licencee         Bush Inn  Black Creek N.S.W.
1848     Innkeeper     Lochinvar   N.S.W.
1848     Living in         Auckland N.Z. 

1850,s  Storekeeper  U.K
1854     Working on   " Preble" U.S.navy warship.

1866/7  Partnership    Lloyd & Coughlan  storekeepers  Singleton N.S.W.
                                   (not known if in Australia at that time.)

1877    " Whampoa"    Arrived in  Melbourne  Australia  16-7-1877

1891      Census           living as boarder in Bristol  retired storekeeper

1901      Census          living with nephew( also George Lloyd )& his wife
                                    Susannah at 74 Egerton Rd. Horefield Bristol.
                                    widower , living on own means.

1907      death             At above address

Mr Alfred  Sellway of Berkley Rd. Accountant  Bishopston & Mr Arthur Maggs of Tower Hill St. Phillips Corn Factor    Executors

Beneficary  Susan Lloyd - niece- all I possess including the title deeds of five tenements in Castle Green Terrace  freehold, let to

No 1 Mr Pearce     5/ weekly
No 2 Mr Perry       4/6  "
No 3 Mrs Pike       5/    "
No 4 Mr Lockyear  5/   "
No    Mr Holloy      4/6  "

Will dated   21-4-1906
Probate      25-5-1908

On the Parish record of his baptism   pge.65,   29-9-1816  St. Paul Bristol his parents are Ann & Thomas  Fathers occupation  Millwright
abode   Church ?  St. Philip,s

Does anyone have info on his parents please ?

Thank you  :)Chrismon :)

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: update for George Lloyd 1815 Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 December 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Found this family which must be yours:

Thomas Lloyd
m
Ann Davis
Children:
Mary Ann Lloyd 
Harriet Lloyd 
Elizabeth Lloyd 
Thomas Lloyd 1808 – 
Caroline Lloyd 1814 – 
George Lloyd 1815 – 
Rachel Lloyd 1819 – 1829
Frederick Lloyd 1820 – 1820
Charles Lloyd 1822

All children christened St Paul's except Charles who was christened St Phillip & St Jacob.
In 1841 I found children Eliza 25, Caroline 20 and Charles 15 living Jacob St, Charles is an Engineer
HO107/375/1
No sign of parents on the 1841, or marriage, birth etc - I'll keep looking.
Incidently St Paul's Church is 5 minutes away from me, I'll check for gravestones next time I walk through - although many were moved a few years ago when the church and grounds were restored and developed.
Regards,
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrismon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee Thanks so much for your interest.I certainly hope it,s the same family.So many of the family names keep coming through. The only query I have is the ages of the children in 1841. Can,t check Elizabeth, but Caroline should be 27 years & Charles  19 years  or am I reading it wrong.? regards Chris :)

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 December 09 10:38 GMT (UK) »
You're right of course, to be cautious about the ages - although I do find the 1841 a bit confusing with it's rounding down and such like, maybe this will swing it for you?
1851 Bristol St Phillip & St Jacob
4 Broad Plain
Thomas Loyd  Head  43  Mar  Master Iron Founder Employing 9 Men 2 Boys  b. Bristol
Jane        "      Wife   47    "                                                                                     "
Charles    "      Bro     29  U     Engineer                                                                   "
Thomas    "      Son    21  "      Moulder                                                                    "
Henry       "       "        19  "      Engineer
Sarah       "       Dau    18  "     Dress Maker
William      "       Son    16        Bookbinder
MaryAnn    "       Dau   14
George      "       Son    9          Scholar

HO107/1954/691/40

So Charles, right age this time, is an engineer as in 1841. Head of family Thomas corresponds with Thomas from your family AND Thomas's son George is most probably nephew George that your G.G.Grandfather lives with when he returns to Bristol.  :)
Still no more information on parents but I'm working on it...
Regards,
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrismon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 December 09 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Lee,really looking good this time. In the 1850,s George (1815) was a Storekeeper in UK. Wonder if he was in business with any of the family , or solitary. I suppose it,s too much to ask about photos .So far I haven,t been able to find any here ,very camera shy or visibly unbecoming !!  regards  Chris :)

Offline Lancell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
I share George Lloyd as an ancestor and still living in the Singleton Area. I do have details of his father's marrage prior to the birth of Thomas his brother, plus some details of his brothers family in Bristol. My research does show George Lloyd arriving in Australia in 1838, 1856 but I have little details of his return to the UK. I did photograph his "digs" (1891) in Bristol and the house where he died (1907).

There are numerous entries of his vovages to Sydney from Newcastle and I beleive details of the produce he sold in Sydney.

I have reasonably strong records of his Australian family plus his sons Family Bible - George Benjamin Lloyd.

While in Bristol I did find copies of records associated with the family plus some details of life in Bristol during the period 1815 to 1840 through the Bristol local directory.

The Lloyd family foundry no longer exists but the area can be view in Bristol. The Castle Green Terrace Houses were demolished I believed for road work.

Your reference to the US navy ship "Preble" is interesting.

Coughlan was a brother-in-law I believe married to one of Singleton's daughters so it would be logical for the two to be in partnership. Tracing Singleton's influence around the Hunter reveal's strong ties with hotels via son-in-laws, direct relations and even a brother making spirits!

George Lloyd is referred to in Benjamin Singleton's will!

George Lloyd's father is a little gent unknown at the moment as I have spent some time without any conclusive evidience of his death and why he is not recorded on the census returns.

My father was charge by some members of the Australian Lloyd's at one stage with finding out more of George Lloyd's life in Bristol but the Second World War prevented a start on this project. Fortunately most of the data I have assembled is available via newspapers and local data bases.

I hope these comments are of some interest

lancell

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thomas LLOYD Married Ann DAVIS, 12 November 1805, St Pauls, Bristol, Gloucester, England

THOMAS Lloyd was Christened to a Thomas/Ann 12 June 1808, St Pauls
(Source of both Familysearch.Org)

Could Thomas have died just before Charles was born/christened?
Charles LLOYD, Chrsitened 13 Oct 1822 as LeeHall found earlier

BURIALS,
Thomas LLOYD, 08 Sept 1822, Age 49, Birth 1773, Death Place, Bristol, Gloucester
OR;
02 April 1841, Age 62, Birth 1779, burial place, Bristol, Glous
+ a possible for Ann;
ANN Lloyd, Age 58, 11 Sept 1836,  Birth c 1778,  event place, Bristol, St Paul, Portland Square, Glous

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Lancell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 11 23:33 BST (UK) »
Trish,
 Thank you for the data. I did pick up Thomas (son of Ann/Thomas) was 21 months old when entry at St Pauls was made. This placed his birth in 1806.

I had opted for the 1841 death of Thomas but this is probably wrong.

Thank you agsain for the data.

lancell

Offline Lucasd79

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 March 24 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am just reading all the comments about the Lloyd family. I work at a property in Broad Plain, Bristol where I looked up the history of the residents and I am pretty sure it is the same family.

I am really keen to know more if you are able to share it? We have named each room in the property after the residents - Baker, Carpenter, Loyd and Colborne. I note that we have a different spelling of Loyd though.

This is what I found out from Bristol archives on the family that lived where I know work.

First name(s)   Last name   Relationship   Marital status   Sex   Age   Birth year   Occupation   Birth place
Thomas   Loyd   Head   Married   Male   43   1808   Master iron founder employing 9 men & 2 boys   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Jane   Loyd   Wife   Married   Female   47   1804   -   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Charles   Loyd   Brother   Unmarried   Male   29   1822   Engineer   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Thomas   Loyd   Son   Unmarried   Male   21   1830   Moulder   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Henry   Loyd   Son   Unmarried   Male   19   1832   Engineer   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Sarah   Loyd   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   18   1833   Dress maker   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
William   Loyd   Son   Unmarried   Male   16   1835   Book binder   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Mary Ann   Loyd   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   14   1837   -   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
George   Loyd   Son   -   Male   9   1842   Scholar   Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks