Author Topic: BYATT-SKIPP Marriage - HALs  (Read 17574 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
BYATT-SKIPP Marriage - HALs
« on: Wednesday 02 December 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
The next time somebody visits the records office in Hertford. Would they be kind enough to get details of the marriage between Alfred Byatt and Elizabeth Skipp. They were married in Sandon on the 17th March 1877.

Unfortunately there were two Elizabeth Skipps born within 6 months of each other in Sandon.

Witnesses or Elizabeth's father's name in the Parish record might resolve my problem.

Thanks

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BYATT-SKIPP Marriage - HALs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benzol,

Found the 1877 marriage entry in the Sandon Register at Hertford.  The fathers were Edward BYATT and James SKIPP, both labourers and the witnesses James DEARMAN and Mary Ann SKIPP.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the effort Peter. Case closed even though the results disappointing for me.

Cheers

Benzol

Offline christinedobson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 December 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I beleive that Elizabeth Skipps parents were indeed James Skipp and Charlotte Rule who married in 1851 in sandon.  Alfred byatts parents Edward and Mary Dearman.  But it is Alfred's grandfather also an Edward that has me stumped there is a record of him marrying  Sarah Head in 1803 in Throcking, Herts and then he married Mary Hollingsworth in Sandon in 1812.  I cant find any baptsim record for Edward Snr in any of the parishes.  He is listed in 1841 census and the box is ticked for him being born in Hertfordshire but as he died in 1850 he was not around for when the census started to list place of birth.
If you or anyone has come across any info on where he might have been born around 1776 time I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Christine

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 December 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Could this the Elizabeth you are looking for?

Birth
Elizabeth SKIPP    Jun Q 1852     Royston    3a    182

Elizabeth SKIPP
Christening:  07 APR 1852   Sandon, Hertford
Father:  John SKIPP
Mother:  Catherine

This could be her death,

Elizabeth SKIPPS    Jun Q 1852    Royston    3a  123

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 December 09 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Daisypetal,

This is my Elizabeth Skipp. Her mother Catherine "Kitty" Barnes was one of my great x2 grandfather's sisters. The Royston death looks pretty good too. It would be great if this could be confirmed in the Sandon parish burials!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Christine,

Can't help with your enquiry but have lots of Alfred Byatt info. Alfred and Elizabeth went first to Ossett cum Gawthorpe Yorkshire and ended up in Netherfield Nottinghamshire where some of their descendants lived into the 1930s at least. I'm also in contact with a Gordon Byatt who lives in Spain. He is a great grandson of Alfred and Elizabeth (I think). Do you need any of this stuff?

Benzol

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 December 09 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Daisypetal,

Me again. I had a belated flash of inspiration. Although the Sandon burial detail would be good perhaps the Sandon 1861 census for John and Catherine Skipp and their family would show whether Elizabeth survived or not. As far as I know the family lived in Roe Green, Sandon.

Thanks once again

Benzol

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 December 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 for Roe Green records John 72, Catherine 49 and two children John 18 and Emma 13.

Will check Sandon PRs for possible death entry for  Elizabeth  recorded in June qtr 1852 Royston District on my next visit to HALS.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christinedobson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 December 09 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the info posted - I have recently contacted Gordon Byatt and will be back in touch with him after the xmas break.
The Byatt family is my son in law's lines and I supposed because they lived in the same area's (Sandon) for so long the same name's keep cropping up in connection with later marriages.  I have a John Skipp born 1789 who married Catherine Barnes born abt 1812.  Their daughter Ann Skipp born 1845 married Henry Edward Barnes, I dont know if there is any connection between Catherine barnes and Henry barnes who became her son in law, other names that crop up loads are Hills, Kingsley, Hatchet.  John Skipp born 1789 was a brother of William Skipp who was the grandfather of the Elizabeth  who married Alfred Byatt.
If anyone is able to look for Edward Byatt and Mary Hollingsworth marriage info for 14 nov 1812 in sandon and see if their Edwards father  or witness names are recorded I would be very grateful.
Christine