Author Topic: Can anyone decipher this parish  (Read 6353 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone decipher this parish
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 December 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I'd say 4th son and the place looks like Swinvird - which could be Swinford misheard by someone with no knowledge of the place concerned.

Certainly never heard of it in relation to Northumberland

Christine

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 December 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I was just going to say the same as Christine but she beat me to it!

My husband was born 1 mile from Old Swinford, and he tells me in the local dialect it could sound exactly like "Swinvird" which is what it looks like to me, too.

Offline Anny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 December 09 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies, if he is the 4th son that means I can check out other siblings.  Wish they had copies of the BTs for other counties I've found so much information on the Durham ones that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Will check out those other Knowles on the IGI, also for the marriage.  Worcester is a whole new area for me so should be interesting.

:) :) :)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 December 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Clever me popped into Tyne and Wear Archives today to resolve the name of Parish- to access the original ( well a film of the original) marriage register of St Andrew's Parish Church.

I got to the baptism page Sept 1805- and could hardly read a word- much worse than the copy of the records that was sent to the Bishop of Durham at that time.

But Newcastle Library was on my route back, so I popped in to look at their transcriptions..... bingo- I think !

Bapt 30 Sept 1792 Christopher William Knowles, son of John & Mary Knowls, a nailor. 25 Dec 1789 ( no indication what this date was ? birth ?)

Bapt 21 Sept 1794 Mary Knowles, dtr of John and Mary Knowles, a smyth. born 25 Aug.

Bapt 9 Oct 1796 William Knowles, son of John and Mary Knowles, a nailor, b. 15 April 1796

Bapt Margery ditto  ( unfortunately cannot read my writing of the dates.. will resolve soonest)

Born 8 Mar 1800, bapt 1 Jun 1800 Margaret Knowls, 5th dtr of John Knowls,
nstive of London and his wife Mary formerly Powell, native of Thirock, Worcestershire, dtr of William Powell.

Born 12 Jan 1805, bapt 8 Sep 1805 "Edward JOHN Knowles, 4th son of John Knowles, nailor, native of the parish of Old Swinvird, Worcestershire, and Mary formerly Powell, native of parish of Old Swinvird, dtr of William Powell
~~~~~~~~---------

Burials.

19 Dec 1799, died 17 dec 1799 Margaret Knowles, Long Field, dtr of John Knowles , nailer and his wife, Mary formerly POOL. Aged 2 Small Pox

16 Mar 1808 Jane Knowles  aded 14 months, dtr of John Knowles of Blackett St, nailer.

~~~~~~~~-

?? Marriage 2 Oct 1776 Mary Knowles spinster married Andrew Woodhouse

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a wee bonus.... Burial 21 Aug 1776 Robert Knowles. executed for robbing the Post Office.

~~~~~~~~---------------

Today there is a parish called Oldswinford, Worcestershire.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Anny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 December 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness Michael, thank you so much, what a star.  I live in Australia so you can imagine that researching is a bit difficult at times. Can now check out all these other siblings and also some old newspaper websites to see if I can find anything on naughty Robert Knowles. 

:) :) :) :) :)

Merry Christmas

Anny

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 December 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »

Just filling in the details gap on Margery's bapt.

She was bapt the same day as Christopher William. 30 Sept 1792.
 My ditto must have meant ditto date and ditto parents. There was no birth date recorded for her !  A date entered against Chris Wm  25 Dec 1789. His birth date ?

These book-form transcriptions (1785-1812) were dated 16 July 1909.  Other Knowles "events"including their marriage,  must be elsewhere.

Clergy must have recorded cause of death over a period in the Burials register.
Many Small Pox deaths in 1798/99.  In the Autumn of my life, I was struck by other common causes of death... i.e. " Decline", "Decay",  "Complications"  etc.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Anny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all your help Michael.  Over the weekend I managed to find the baptisms (much easier when someone has provided you with the dates) in the Durham Bishops BTs for Christopher William (the 25.12.1789 is recorded there as his date of birth), Mary, William, Margaret is shown as Isabella but same date must recheck that one, and Edward, also the burial of Margaret.  I missed the one for Margery, its probably right next to Christopher Williams will recheck that one also.  Some of theBTs are extremely difficult to read as they have sustained some form of damage over the years.  I also found an article on Robert Knowles who was incarcerated in 1775 for stealing a letter containing 2 fifty pound notes, a huge sum of money in those days.  He managed to trick his gaoler and excaped but was caught again very soon after.  Think if he had committed the crime just one year later he probably would have been transported rather than hanged and I would have a great time trying to track him down out here poor man.  One of the causes of death which always intrigues me is 'visitation of God'.

Thanks again for all your trouble.

Cheers

Anny

Offline Anny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 04:48 GMT (UK) »
PS I really can spell escaped, I just can't type very well.