Author Topic: Percy Macness TURVILLE Australia syd/vic states  (Read 17550 times)

Offline lynonline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Macness TURVILLE Australia syd/vic states
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 December 09 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy
I am a descendent of Annie Florence Stead nee Turville. 
She was the second wife of Joseph Henry Stead (formerly Steads), engineer.
Her son Walter Adrian Stead  (1891 - 1859)
and his sons Walter Goullee Stead (1912 - 1994)
and my father Alfred Turville Stead (1914 - 1981)
were all engineers.
I have entered all of the info I have on Ancestry.com but realise not everyone has access.  It is great to find all of the additional info you have provided.
Lyn
Stead,  Turville,  Goullee,  Luxon, 
Peatling,  Boyd,  Ratcliffe, Dunstan

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 December 09 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootstchat Lyn :)

I am sure Wendy will be delighted to make contact with you. :)

Lyn have you read the book on the TURVILLE's in Aus? 

I had actually found a lot of TURVILLE [including STEAD's] info but didn't post it on the board when I noted the year the book was published.  I understand that Percy Mackness TURVILLE and sons are mentioned but not his two daughters who were born after 1918 in NSW.

I see there was a partnership between Joseph Henry STEAD and TURVILLE which was dissolved in 1875. Was this with Thomas TURVILLE?

You may have these but just in case you haven't...

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5951732?searchTerm=turville++stead

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7439390?searchTerm=turville++stead

Following on from the above snippet, it would seem that Ann TURVILLE was a wealthy woman in her own right.  She died intestate and the Letters of Admin and Probate Grant are on the PROV website.

Cheers
Cando

Edit...I have just had a browse through your online tree Lyn and congratulations on a well presented and well resourced tree. :)  So many people fail to cite and reference their sources.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wendy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 06 December 09 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Wow is all I can say you guys have been very pro active the biggest smiles here.
Lyn on line  hugs and a very warm welcome to you and your family. :) seek and yea shall find.
i don't know what got me to start my search in history Lyn but as you can see there are some amazing people who are the back bone of this family history search every one is to be comended for their galant efforts to give me the strength I have needed to know who I am and why I think and do the things that make me who I am, genetic history.
I am a new member of ancestry.com. I was trying to do things there but I had such a overwhelming responce here in rootchat the people here have taken me under their wings had have litrally flown away with me and my descendant's to height's I never expected to reach.
I hope that you enjoy our family search and join in.I have all faith in theses very compassionate and helpful people and can't thank them enough.I think it might be time for me to now enter a photo of us here. I would like to show you a photo of my grandfather and grandmother I have tried to enter them here but I don't know how to make the jpeg size smaller for viewing but I'll try to find some one who can help us out.

cheers
a loyal family member of the turville family

Wendy 1

Offline wendy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 December 09 04:14 GMT (UK) »
These  are photos of Percy Macness TURVILLE and his family and his resting place with my mother marjorie and me as a child Percy passed away the year before I was born

Offline lynonline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 December 09 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Thanks Cando for the links - I have attached them to my Ancestry profiles.  I have also ordered the John Turville book from the National Library (or the first 50 pages).  I don't know if it was Thomas Turville who was in partnership with Joseph Stead - more to research!  Thanks for your kind words, too.  I find Ancestry.com convenient for the way I work, and I hope you will too, Wendy.

I have only been searching for family history info for the last year and the John Turville book is of great interest as I want to go further back to the English records, if possible.
I have only one photo of Ann Florence Turville and was hoping to find some of Thomas Turville and Ann Mackness.

Isn't it wonderful how much info is now available online through databases and chat rooms!

Cheers, Lyn

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 06 December 09 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there Lyn

Glad you  found your way here and my link to the thread enabled you to join Rootschat and find new family members.

A lot of helpfull and knowledgable people who are allways willing to help.  So if there is anything you might need with your research please don't hesitiate in asking us

kind thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 06 December 09 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Wendy what a lovely cheerful family photo :)  I hope someone can resize them for you...we can't see you as a child ;)

Lyn as the publication was only published in 2003 I think you may have to obtain permission from the author for the book to be copied.  I have been down this path before and fortunately the author of the publication I was interested in, mailed one of his own copies.   I understand the NLA may not have the author's latest address.  I will send you a pm.

I have just a bit of a browse for info for the STEAD/TURVILLE partnership -

TURVILLE Thos [Thomas]
Gazetted  16 Jul 1875
Place  11 Little Collins St Melbourne, Victoria
Victoria Government gazette - Page 1387
Under sub title heading  Dissolution of Partnerships. Business: "Stead and Turville"

The address is identical to the address of Joseph STEAD in the newspaper item.  So it would appear he was in partnership with Thomas and reference is made in the newspaper to a partnership with Turville which was dissolved prior to Aug 1875.

I certainly agree with you last comment.  I do all my research sitting in the farm office.  Of course so much research does need access to subscription based websites.

Cheers :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wendy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 06 December 09 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone I guess thats how busy this turville history search has become how wonderful.
Cando in the photo of my mother and I its only a small piece of my arm and face it dosnt show me. I placed it there for the Turville plark just so lyn would know I'm a real member for the turville family side of Percy Macness TURVILLE.
There is  1 book in archives Lyn with the national Library.it is 125 pages long I havnt seen it as yet I was going to order it as well I need to join a librery here that supports it without a high price tag for borrowing it a bond so to speak.
I still dont know how to place all this infomation on to a file for keeping like you Lyn Im only new to all of this as I have said I would like to see your ansetery file you have put together what is the heading for it in ansestery.com. thank to some great people are in order
My family give thanks to :
Cando, Raylen,Tropicalj,Alison, and every one else who has made this possible thank you to the rootschat team if not for you none of this would be possible .cheers Wendy1

Offline lynonline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 December 09 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I will try and get the whole book too.  I have asked for it in electronic form so I can pass on what I do get to you.  I am a member of the Genealogical Soc of Vic, but still have to get to Melb to their library - I will see if I can get the rest of the book from them.

Using Ancestry is easy, just time consuming.  Start with your parents and grandparents and it will link to the data I have entered and that will save you some time.  My tree is a public access one called Stead family, but you will link to it when you enter your own information.  Be careful about the spelling, though - it is Mackness, not Macness. 

I like to do all of the searching when the afternoons are too hot to work outside, so I may not be online all day.  It is great that we can find out about this side of the family together.  Thanks to all of the contributors.

Cheers, Lyn