Author Topic: Parrish family of Chirk  (Read 19803 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parrish family of Chirk
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ever so , Paul. You've given me lots of info on this family   :)

The problem is that there were two James Par(r)ish - one the son of Thomas and Ann and one (the one you mention) ,  son of John and Elizabeth.  All of them seemed to have large families and, whereas they were adventurous with the girl's names, they were pretty boring when it came to the sons!

The James, son of Thomas and Ann seems to disappear for 20 years - the only one that looks promising is the one at The Lodge in 1851.  As Thomas Ward owned Black Park colliery, this James might have been groom for a while and then become a coal miner but there's no way of proving it one way or another.

My line went to Willenhall and then returned to Chirk. Others moved to Durham, Staffs, Yorkshire, etc.

Did Priscilla Parrish (b.c. 1818) marry David Jones circa 1838-9? I don't see it on Freebmd.  Ever so grateful if you can find this marriage.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Reason that I  ask this is that there is a Priscilla Jones, aged 2 on the 1841 (HO107/1399/1/8/7 ) living seemingly on her own between the Parrish family and the Richard Jones family. 

I've found a baptism for Priscilla in 1839, d/o David and Priscilla Jones. I'm not sure what happened to Thomas's daughter, Priscilla (b. 1818), and wondered if this was a daughter.  They're not on the 1841/51 so far. I've only just started searching for them. I've not checked burials yet.

In 1851, this might well be  the young Priscilla  - a visitor, aged 12, born Chirk : HO107/2503/713/21

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline *bunty*

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, if I might be of help - Priscilla Parish died 'on the childbed' in 1839 in the presence of her 'husband' David Jones (I have her death certificate, just not handy).  The child survived, named Priscilla Jones.  It appears David did not keep her :(.  I have not been able to find the marriage of Priscilla and David on freeBMD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 08:56 GMT (UK) »
An - thank you, Bunty. So she was really living with the Parrish family on the 1841 then.  I was going to check the burial records today  :)

So, no bmd marriage record, maybe Paul might  find a marriage (poss pre-1837) in the Church records. Otherwise, they weren't married - odd though that she's using his name at death.

I assume you have the births to Elizabeth and Susannah that Paul found for me?

Gadget

Offline *bunty*

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I have an illeg son John for Elizabeth but nothing for Susannah.  I am curious!  :o

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Susannah was a servant in King Street, Willenhall in 1851, as you know - most likely she went with Caroline and John Stokes.

Paul found this in the Chirk Parish records:

Born Nov 13 Baptised Dec 5 1854. William s/o Susannah Parish. Lower Barracks. Spinster.

As far as I can make out, John and Caroline didn't return to the area until 1860-61 - on census in St Martins (Chirk Bank)  in 1861 but all children b. Willenhall, so Susannah must have returned home between 1851 and 1854.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I am out for the day now but before I go, here's a small photo of Elizabeth Stokes, my great grandmother, the daughter of Caroline Parish and John Stokes.

Gadget

PS -and for Paul, who likes collecting interesting names:

Athaliah was Queen of Judah from 842-836 BC. She was the daughter of King Ahab and Queen Jezebel of the northern kingdom of Israel. She also was the wife of King Jehoram of Judah, and the mother of King Ahaziah.

http://www.aboutbibleprophecy.com/p8.htm

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Found the burial of Priscilla Jones  nee Par(r)ish:

Chirk 13 April 1839, aged 21. Abode - Pontyblew

Priscilla, her daughter was baptised on 11th April  :'(

Gadget

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 20:57 GMT (UK) »
The only Parish marriages I could see pre-1837.

1813. John Davies - Anne Parrish.

1814. John Parish - Mary Jones.

1815. Thomas Collins - Mary Parish.

1820. John Davies - Sarah Parish.

1824. William Parish - Susannah Davies.

1824. John Parish - Elizabeth Roberts.

I couldn't see anything for Priscilla and David :(

Paul.