Author Topic: Duncan Findlay-Inverness/Nairn/Moray area  (Read 2228 times)

Offline calummac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duncan Findlay-Inverness/Nairn/Moray area
« on: Friday 04 December 09 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching my fathers side of the family and have can find little trace of his grandfather, Duncan Findlay. Duncan was the father of Hugh McDonald (my grandfather) born (illegitimatley) 12th Nov 1899 in the parish of Cawdor to Hughina McDonald, who would have been about 19 at the time.(Can't find her birth cert. but the census of 1881 and 1891 list her as having been born in parish of Daviot.
The first record I can find of Duncan is my grandparents wedding certificate, on the 2nd December 1927 in Rothes. He is listed as deceased, but I cannot find any other info, birth, death or census records.
Hughina was listed as a domestic servant domiciled at the farm of Doundaff in the Parish of Edinkillie at the time.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Findlay-Inverness/Nairn/Moray area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 09 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi calummac

On Hugh's marriage certificate - is that where Hughina was listed as a Domestic Servant at Doundaff farm? (Which is her parents family home in 1901)

What is the exact wording on the marriage for her?

Also, does the marriage list an occupation for the late Donald FINLAY?

It may be very difficult to find any more about Donald , unfortunately, without any more to go on. There is also the possibility  that the marriage cert is not quite the truth - either by omission or design, or that Hugh only knew what his mother told him  - which again, may not have been quite the full story.

Have you investigated the possibilty that Hughina had an order or similar,  against the father for upkeep of her child?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 09 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands People
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Indexes the birth of:

Hughina McDONALD, 1879, Daviot, Invernessshire

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline calummac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 December 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Spot on with the birth cert, that's her alright. I'd been looking for 1880 or 81 as a birth date as she'd been 10 in the census of 1891.
On hugh's wedding cert, there's no occupation listed for Duncan, Hughina's address of Doundaff is listed on Hugh, my grandfathers birth cert of 1899.
Have found the 1901 census, interesting that the mother does not live there. I remember hearing that she gave him up as he was born out of wedlock, something he was always ashamed of.
Many thanks