Author Topic: MARTIN family of Killanny parish (pre-famine)  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Butch509

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARTIN family of Killanny parish (pre-famine)
« on: Friday 04 December 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of  Edward MARTIN born abt 1760 and died 15 Feb 1837 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. In 1916, his granddaughter found his headstone which stated that he was a "native of Killanny, Ireland". I have developed a list of descendants from her notes and researched these families. Edward had at least 9 children.

His oldest known son was Brian Bernard MARTIN born abt 1790. He married Catherine McMAHON in Ireland and had at least two children there. Son was Dennis Martin born Ireland just prior to immigration. He immigrated in 1823. His US naturalization papers state he was of Carrickmacross, County Monaghan. I realize that this is likely just the largest town near to where he was from and that Killanny Parish is east of Carrickmacross and straddles the Fane River where that river forms the boundary between County Monaghan and County Louth. The parish of Killanny is immediately north of the parish of Magheracloone which is the southernmost parish of County Monaghan.

The 9 children were all born in County Monaghan between 1790 and 1825.
children:
Brian Bernard Martin 1790 died 1865 Charlestown (Boston), MA.
Mary Martin 1796 m. _____ McClay & died NY City 1860-1870.
Michael Martin born abt 1801 m. Julia Ferrin died 1840-45 in Boston, MA.
Patrick Martin 1802 died unmarried 21 May 1840 in Boston, MA.
Thomas Martin 1805 died 15 Sep 1835 Charlestown, MA.
Bridget Martin 1809 m. John Lyons in Ireland died after 1850 in Maine, USA.
James Martin 1810 m. Mary McDermott in MA and died 12 Aug 1872 Worcester, MA.
Edward Martin 1815 died aft 1850 ... no further info.
Margaret Martin 1825 married John Long in Lowell, MA died aft 1880

More about Mary McDermott wife of James Martin above. Mary was born in Ireland abt 1818. Her mother was Mary McMahon born abt 1791 and also a "native of Killanny". Mary's father was Orrin McDermott who died before 1828 as Mary McMahon McDermott remarried to Francis Garland. She and Francis Garland had a son Francis Garland born 12 Oct 1827 near Carrickmacross. This son Francis Garland married Jane Frances Putnam born in Massachusetts; Jane's parents were Garrett Putnam of Maine and Jane Flanery of Ireland.

The 1796 flax grower list shows that nearly half of those with MARTIN surname were of Farney Barony. Of these there is only one in Killanny with the most with given names matching those of the above family in Donaghmoyne and Magheracloone parishes.

Does anyone have any recommendation on how I might go about finding the origin in Killanny parish for my family?

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN family of Killanny parish (pre-famine)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
It will be be difficult to make a connection as the earliest records for that parish I would imagine are the Tithe Applotment Books which in the case of neighbouring Magheracloone was 1828 so Killanney would have been about then too. By 1860 there were only only 6 Martin familys there, 3 of them at Aghafad. A Bernard Martin of Aghafad, Killanny married Catherine Duffy of Leons Beg, Magheracloone in 1852 when my great-grandmother, Rose Martin of Magheracloone was the bridesmaid. They first settled at Leons Beg but about 10 years later moved to Aghafad where Bernard Martin originated from, possibly on the death of his father.

Most of the children of this family emigrated to Australia in the 1880's and some of the descendants are researching that line.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline Butch509

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JTA. I was hoping that you'd reply as I read some of your earlier posts about the MARTINs. I't is really too bad that my research shows that not a single male carrying the MARTIN surname survives from this father of 9 children. All branches either died out or "daughtered" out. Thank you again. I was hoping that there might be something that I was overlooking.

Many of the 3d generation did quite well here in USA ... lawyers, businessmen, ect. My own line is from the Dennis Martin grandson who was born about 1823 and who became a rather well-off currier and tanner. He made a good deal outfitting the Rhode Island cavalry in our civil war.

His daughter (my great grandmother) was Kate (Martin) Larkin. She married James Wilson Larkin who was born in RI of Thomas and Ellen (McGough) LARKIN of county Monaghan (never found out which parish). Jim larkin was a Fenian treasurer in Pawtucket, RI and rased funds to purchase whaler "Catalpa" used to rescue the Fremantle Six in 1876. One of those rescued was James Wilson who is buried near my great grandfather in Old St Mary's of Pawtucket.

I also suspect that his only son (my grandfather) was in New York City during the build up before the Easter Rising. He returned to Rhode Island after that effort.

Anyway, one day I hope to visit this area of county Monaghan.

Thanks again for the info.

Offline McGoughKillanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 19 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I know this is an old post, but maybe this helps. Here is some old tombstones in old Killanny Parish graveyard. I am a McGough from there.
18. A Sanstone Headstone. I.H.S. Erected by Pat Martin of Ballymackney in memory of his wife Margaret Martin (alias Duffy) who departed this life May 27th 1803, aged 72 years. Also the body of the above Pat who departed this life June the 10th 1804, aged 81 years.

McMahon's: 1. A Limestone Headstone. Martin Mc Mahon Coolreagh. Erected by Jane Mc Mahon in memory of her husband Martin, who departed this life the 26th April 1826, aged 49 years. Also in memory of her daughter Mary Mc Mahon who departed this life 26th Oct 1832, aged 24 years. Also the above named Jane Mc Mahon, who departed this life 11th Aug 1841, aged 56 years.

20. A Sanstone Headstone. I.H.S. This stone wsa erected by Matthew Byrne of Tullygoan in memory of his father James Byrne, who departed this life April 4th 1784, aged 65 years. Also his mother Mary Byrne (alias Mc Mahon) who departed this life February the 22nd 1792, aged 59 years. And likeswise his brother Thomas Byrne, who departed this life April 28th 1796, aged 31 yeras. Also in memory of his wife Judith Byrne who departed this life Sep 30th 1824, aged 50 years.

23. A Limestone Headstone. In Hoc Signo Vinces - Requiescant in Pace. This monument was erected by the Rev. Bryan Kelly, Parson of Killanny, who departed this life May 4th 1802, aged 57 years. Also his father Edward Kelly, who died March 26th 1783, aged 67 years. Also his mother Mary Kelly (alias Mc Mahon) who died July 6th 1788, aged 64 years. Here are deceased the remains of Rev Philip Kelly, who de this life May 2nd 1815, aged 57 years.

MANY MORE! Join my Facebook group - Olde Killanny Parish. I have a lot of history there and links to many other groups from the area, other family names... https://www.facebook.com/groups/2151733041755052/