Author Topic: Help please re travellers in North Yorkshire / Durham  (Read 30046 times)

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re travellers in North Yorkshire / Durham
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Julie
I know you have your work cut out trying to sort your own lot out. I will certainly let you know if I turn anything up.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Gary,
        Pity about the Blakes, but saw your querie.
Jonas is in B/T son of Edward and Sarah Burnside Aycliffe-Potter Dec10  1826
I already had this before B/T. Somewhere!
                              Fred

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 December 09 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Not sure if this shines a light on the Ambrose who married Alice peers. 1851 census Piece: 2324; Folio: 653; Page: 46 has Alice Burnside residing with Parker & Matilda Charlton in dewsbury, Alice is given as a sister in law.
Unfortunatley I cant find a marriage for Parker & Matilda.

Added: Re the Ambrose marriage to Elizabeth Mackerline in Stockton in 1842, I think this Ambrose was a brother to Charity. He was baptised 1821 at West Auckland to John & Jane. It would appear  Charity also marries in Stockton in 1839.

Gary

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,
                Sorry i`m late replying, got a load on.
I have Ambrose 1822 Shincliffe as= Alice. re. 1881census.He is my 3xgtgran Elizabeth1808`s brother.
I never looked up Alices people.
I also didnt think i had anything on Ambrose1821, but i have, from DROL
St. Helens B/A 11aug1821 of West Auckland son of John(Potter) and Jane. but also i have (mar1823)Neddy (Edward) Burnside of W/A  4th son!!!! of Jand J so theres more, besides Charity who dosent ring any bells.( although i always thought the Dingles (Emmerdale were based on the Burnsides.Ha Ha.
St Helens has been taken off BT. It seems every thing i work on onBT e.g. St Giles Durham C is taken off.
Thanks for info Fred

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred

Strange you can't get the BT for Auckland St Helens I can still access it.
I think I have 3 of the 4 sons to John & Jane
John 1817 Sadberge , He appears to have died 1826 @ St Helens aged 6
Ambrose 1821 St Helens & Neddy 1823 St Helens . Looks like Jane died 1824 also @ St Helens. I have 2 Thomas 1806 & 1808 both baptised @ Richmond near Leyburn with a father as John. There is quite a gap from these to John in Sadberge but they could have had few daughters in quick succession.
Charity was baptised 1819 @ Sadberge. All from the BT's

Gary

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
St Helens has been taken off BT.

As Gary says, it is definitely still there. Page 1 only is unavailable. Go to the next page and you will find it is all still there!

Exactly the same applies to Durham St Giles - only page 1 is missing.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gary and Jennifer,
    I shall give BTs another go. Going back a bit Gary. Where did you get 1825 from for Jonahs birth. I have 1826 for bap Aycliffe from BT
Back (or should i say forward) to John and Jane, are we talking about John 1777 son of Benjamin marrying Jane Rickaby 09dec1805 Hurworth. I see we also have a John Burnside =Jane Pitman1811 York, but that shouldnt interfere.
I really have no need of this line, but like everyone else i am intrigued by them all. I have just been updating the line from John1770( imake him the third john in that line. B/A to Newbottle and Sunderland. there are still Burnsides around Houghton and Sunderland, and in between. The Mary we have been looking for had bros Ambrose, Benjamin and Joseph going to Durham C. Benjamin then went to Newbottle(two Potteries then) then to Chester le st.
Ambroses and Josephs families Belmont area(you get three villages for one here) Belmont, Boxmoor, and Carville.
Brother John went to Haswell then Easlngton Lane. I actually went in his son Benjamins house opposite Elemore Colliery.That was a laugh
                             Thanks again Fred

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred

Thanks for the Jonas date, it is indeed 1826. I have checked my database and for reasons better known to itself it has taken to sorting dates in a strange way. I will install a back up and hope it sorts it. Apologies for that.
On the John and Jane marriage I would say it is indeed Jane Ricaby the baptism for Charity seem to bear this out.
The only male Burnside I know for sure is mine is the elusive Joseph b circa 1826 in cockerton. The only clue I have for his branch is via his uncle Robert of Brafferton and this is the line I have been trying to follow, note the trying. These Burnsides are very trying ::). The Mary Smith saga is very confusing the best I could come up with was a Mary Smith born c 1827 in Everingham ( near york) with a father as John, so I don't know if this a dead end.

Gary

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 17 December 09 10:30 GMT (UK) »
The names of witnesses to the marriage of Ambrose Burnside and Isabella Gordon have now been supplied on a lookup thread. However, they give no clues, one likely to be the parish clerk and the other Robert Forbes has no apparent link.

I wonder if the marriage of John Burnside to Annas Forest 1857 Houghton-le-Spring, Durham, could shed any more light.
Does anyone have details of witnesses or the facility to look up?

I have started to try and track through the census records re Burnsides. I can't find Mary or parents Edward and sarah in 1841. However in the course of looking, I came across an interesting page;

1841, Aycliff, Durham. This is the Edward Burnside married to Elizabeth, next door are Hannebal and John Swales. I note JaneyJ you list travellers called Swales as an interest. Are they connected to Burnsides?
Also John Burnside above has child listed in 1861 as Harmeble - presumably Hannibal.

Then on the same page is a 10 yr old Mary Smith b Durham, in the household of William Coulthard 20 ag lab and wife Elizabeth 20 and baby son John.

Interesting!