Author Topic: Help please re travellers in North Yorkshire / Durham  (Read 29995 times)

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re travellers in North Yorkshire / Durham
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mikizz,
                 Do you have anything on a Prudence dau of( i think) either John Cunningham and Hannah b.1843 nee Lindsley  marr.Yarm1861, or their dau, Hannah.
STROUDIE Have details of Benjamin(Marys bro.) marriage to Dinah Lindsley
29jun1857 par. ch.Sedgefield for elimination purposes.
Witnesses James P Wilson and John Usher Gladstone.
Still waiting for info on John Burnside=Annas Forrest witnesses.
Maybe Jonas marriage will yield something.
                            Fred

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
        i have a prudence c1821. also hannibal swales ( male) c 1819. and susan c 1819.also have john wilson b1795 who married grace cunningham b1793. cannot find any burnside and cunningham marraiges but have just started research. i am cunningham. my g grandad joe cunningham b c 1904 married in 1923 violet edeson b c 1902.you will find edesons also married into same familys. charles edeson c 1835 married mary ann swales c 1846 had daughter mary ann c1867 son frank c 1871.  jeremiah swales.

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mikizz
There is a marriage for a William Burnside & Elizabeth Cunningham in 1820 in Pickering, Yorkshire. I think this may be the William & Elizabeth that appear in Kirby Moorside. Only problem is that this William consistently gives his birthplace as Sunderland??

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
        william may have been born in sunderland .i think that is were burnsides were from.i can see from my tree cunningham/edeson familys spent lots of time in york pickering areas.who was elizebeths parents . my great grandmother violet was daughter of  jeremiah edeson and ann stornach married 1902. think jeremiahs parents were charles edeson b 1837 and mary ann swales b 1845  it is very difficult as there are lots with same names through familys. i have found prudence on 1881 census. adress 3 north street falsgrave. hannibal swales age 60 b 1821 kirby moor side. wife prunence 60 b 1821 falsgrave yorkshire . son jeremiah 38 single b 1843 kirbymoorside. daughter esther 24 single b1857 falsgrave.believe hannibal was son of james and esther swales. and brother of jeremiah swales.b 1815. i hope i have not confused you more.

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mikizz

I think Elizabeth's parents are James & Mabel (via the IGI). I have not researched the Cunningham line so really don't know much about them. The information may be useful even if it is only to rule them out.

Added: There is also a marriage for a Mark Burnside & Mabel Cunningham in 1846 in Easingwold. She appears to be with William & Elizabeth in Kirby Moorside in 1851 as a niece. IGI shows her parents as Henry & Betsy. A quick check for a marriage of Henry & Betsy brings up Henry Cunningham & Elizabeth Swales married in 1826 in New Malton.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Just to chuck a late one into the mix - very intriguing to see the Forrest connection.

Thomas Gray b.abt 1880 Stickney/East Keal, Lincs, my great great uncle, married Ann "Nan" Forrest in 1906. They settled in Boston Lincs, like most of my Gray/Smith travelling ancestors.
Ann "Nan" Gray (nee Forrest) died in 1978 and is buried in Boston Cem.

My Grays do link to the Rhodes, Cunninghams, Swales etc ....

Offline tracybsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
John Cunningham c1770 had at least 2 children that I know of Grace c1793 who married John Wilson c1792 and Richard c1790-c1861 who married Mary Miller.
Grace and John had at least 3 children Grace c1814, Elizabeth c1817 and Joseph c1831  Joseph married Mabel Edeson c1834.

Richard and Mary had many children Magdalene c1810, Richard c1812 (who married Mary Swales c1820), Hannah c1819 (married Richard Arnold c1816), Grace c1821 (who married George Miller c1824) Ann and Jane and William Cunningham c1824 who married Martha Jackson c1834.

William and Martha had 5 children Mary 1856, William 1862, Peter 1862, John 1864 and Richard 1858.

Richard married  Elizabeth Morrison 1861 and they had 7 children William 1878 who married Janey Maguire 1881. Richard 1889, Martha 1880, Mary 1882, Jane 1886, John 1891 and Joseph 1884.

Joseph married Nancy/Annie Maguire 1886 (Janey's sister).  They had three children Joseph1904, John 1908 and Martha 1911.  Joseph was killed in WW1 and Nancy had two other children Margaret 1920 (married Thomas Ellis c1918) and Eileen 1923 (Married John Ingham 1920).

Joseph who was born in 1904 was my grandfather, his wife was Violet Edeson born 1908.  Her parents were Jeremiah 1862 or 69 and  Annie Stanack/Stronach.  They had several other children Mary 1890 (married John Kennedyc1880), Jeremiah 1894 (married Violet Hall c1894), Lily 1896 (married name McGowan), Charles 1897, Frank 1899, Annie1897 (married Arthur Hall), Joseph 1905 and William 1911.

Jeremiah 1862/69 was the son of Charles Edeson c1835 and Mary Ann Swales c1845.  Their other children were Mary 1867 and Frank 1871.

Charles' parents were John Edeson c1810 and Hannah c1810.  Charles had a sister Mabel c1834 who married John Wilson (John was son of Grace Cunningham 1793 and John Wilson 1792).

Mary Ann Swales c1845 was the daughter of Jeremiah Swales c1815 and Elizabeth Wilson c1817.  She was one of 10 children.

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 31 December 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello and happy New Year to everyone

Thank you for all the continuing information, Thanks Fred for the marriage witnesses for Benjamin and Diana to exclude.

I am currently trawling census records for the siblings of Mary Burnside to build up a picture and looking at families living close by.

I haven't yet found anything new. Some of the families seem remarkably stable for 'travelers'.

I noted a house on a census called a tramp lodging house, which was interesting as Mary Grout ran a lodging house in Guisborough from 1891 or earlier. Anecdotaly, this has been described as a tramp lodging house. I feel this perhaps relates to her having a knowledge of the traveling life.

Has anyone come across the name Bradley in relation to traveler families? The 1861 census for Guisborough has a Mary Bradley wife of James, with 4 yr old son Joseph Bradley, with details that could match 'our Mary'. Mary & Joseph are not found in 1871 or on death records and James Bradley is found in a lodging house in Muggleswick Durham. It's difficult to read his marital status, but in 1881 he is a boarder in Skelton and appears to be unmarried.

It seems that sorting out the links between these traveling families is useful to a number of people and hopefully might in the end solve my problem.

So thanks again.

Julie

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,
         :-[   On Isabellas death certificate her father was Alexander,so I imagine one of her brothers would be Alexander,
                      Regards Margaret
Sorry Magpie28, i didnt thank you for above. I see you also have Swales,Cunningham,Forrest, and Gordon. Anything in the Belmont-Newbottle- Easington Lane circle.
                                           Fred :-[