Author Topic: Does anyone know where the name STUCKENSCHMIDT originates???  (Read 2664 times)

Offline scotslink

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where the name STUCKENSCHMIDT originates???
« on: Monday 07 December 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I am looking for more info on Henry StokenSmith (Harp Maker), As yet the only thing i can find is his marriage and i also have his daughters marriage cert.

Henry Stookensmith - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 06 JUN 1819 St. Marylebone, London, England
(Daughters marriage) Henrietta Stoken Smith, 1848 Bethnal Green.

He must of died before 1833 as that is when his wife married Henry Wessel from germany, It has been suggested the name may of been Stuckenschmidt, any info regarding this name very much appreciated.
Trinder - Gloucs / London (West Ham, Poplar)
Aldridge/Alldridge - London (West Ham, Canning Town)
Turnbull (SCT:Fife, LON:West Ham, Poplar)
Andrews (Devon: London, West Ham etc)
Oswald (SCT: )
Proudfoot (SCT)
Joseph (Carmarthanshire / Brecon)
Price (Brecon)
Watkins (Brecon)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where the name STUCKENSCHMIDT originates???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotslink,

I don't know where the name comes from, but I entered it in google.de (in Germany) and found a lot of Stuckenschmidt people ... authors, painters, musicians, professors , etc etc.

So it is still in use :)

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is the url of a website which shows the frequency of surnames in Germany (Deutchland) and whereabouts the name is concentrated.  Enter your surname & click for a result and you'll see that the darker the colour shading the more concentrated the surname.  Hovering your mouse over the map will show the main placename of any region.  I didn't recognise the placename where the main bulk of Suckerschmit originated so I would have to refer to a google map or an atlas to get my bearings.

http://www.verwandt.de/karten/

I looked in the German telephone book and got 38 private phone numbers from which I could see a few lived in Bremen near the coast and some lived in Goslar and Wolfenbuttel which are in the Hanover region (which used to be the old British ruled Kingdom of Hanover) - if you've already looked on the IGI you'll notice Bremen and Hanover are included.

http://www.dastelefonbuch.de/english.html?la=en&cx=&cy=&&sp=0&aktion=11

You didn't say whether Henry/Heinrich married in an English church.  One longshot for finding Henry's origins would be to see if the Anglo German Society has got the Lutheran bmd church book to see if his marriage and his death is recorded, and/or if his baby was recorded by the Lutherans.   If you're lucky it will give his parents names & town of origin.

Good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena,

that was Diepholz, "next door" to Oldenburg.

Probably just coincidence that someone was asking recently about Oldenburg, but there are a couple of links on this topic

Topic: Germany: anyone know a site for oldenburg
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,422155.0.html

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I've tried to find mention of olden day harp makers (Harfehersteller) in Germany to try to get an idea of where your Henry could have learnt his trade.   I know from my own German family who mainly worked on the land but it seemed every child learnt to play an instrument back in the 1800's and thus my family did include two harpists as well as violinists - they originated around the Salzgitter area in the Hanover region. 

If you go to this website there are links to two current harpmakers in Germany.

http://www.harpspectrum.org/links/builders.shtml

Bernhard Schmidt, Harpmaker – lever harps, electric harps and MIDI harps. Germany

Thurau Germany- maker of pedal harps, also historical replicas

Now this Eric Kleinmann harp manufacturer looks interesting as the business was set up in the 1800's

Harfenbau Eric Kleinmann - Bau von Gotischen-Harfen, Renaissanceharfen, Barockharfen und Harfen bis 1850 (www.eric-harps.de)
Eric Wilhelm Kleinmann. auf folgenden Internationalen ... Eric Wilhelm Kleinmann: D-72412 Rangendingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany: Historischer.

Also have you joined anyrootsweb mailing lists to see if anyone can assist?  I found a few contacts on the "Hanover-L" Niedersachsen list which covers the old Kingdom of Hanover.

Good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline scotslink

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Berlin-Bob and Rena for the info, I will have a go and see if i can find any info on him.

Many Thanks

D
Trinder - Gloucs / London (West Ham, Poplar)
Aldridge/Alldridge - London (West Ham, Canning Town)
Turnbull (SCT:Fife, LON:West Ham, Poplar)
Andrews (Devon: London, West Ham etc)
Oswald (SCT: )
Proudfoot (SCT)
Joseph (Carmarthanshire / Brecon)
Price (Brecon)
Watkins (Brecon)