Author Topic: Henry MOttlee working in India- how do I find him?  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry MOttlee working in India- how do I find him?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 December 09 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn- I have checked their databases but again no luck. I have even contacted one of the private researchers they list, but she has said unless I have hundreds of pounds to spend, with no real idea of WHEN Henry was in India, it really would be like looking for an expensive needle in a haystack.

David- so this means Mr Cullmer wasnt necessarily fully informed when he advertised for Henry and the inheritance, but would likely have done some reasonable research? and likely took a cut of the money if Henry did manage to claim it?

THanks again for everyone's help- really need to narrow down when Henry could have been in India somehow, or find out if Mr Cullmer would have kept records that still exist somewhere!
KYlie B

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 December 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I have seen a couple of family trees produced around that period which I know were done for the family by an "expert".  In both cases they included what I can only describe as "a leap in faith" which with the resources which we have available today can easily shown to be wrong.  However to be fair in both cases I have not been able to determine the correct link.

I would thus suggest that a link to the inheritance was constructed by the expert but did not stand up in a court of law.

One good example to quote is the Buswell family of Clipston in Northamptonshire where there are numerous different pedigrees which claim a link back to the family with the coat of arms and the money but none of which stand up to examination.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David
That would explain why all the lead up, and then nothing afterwards...he didnt get the inheritance because there wasnt one!

Right then- back to trying to prove or disprove the time in India as a plague expert then!

Thanks again for giving me a lot more insight into this genealogist and family tree's at that time!
Kylie B