Author Topic: Augmentation of weathered eighteenth century churchyard memorial.  (Read 2343 times)

Offline lanerellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Augmentation of weathered eighteenth century churchyard memorial.
« on: Tuesday 08 December 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello fellow RootsChat users,

I'm looking for advice regarding placing an additional monument next to two severely weathered eighteenth century grave memorials in the Eckington, Derbyshire churchyard next to the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul, containing transcriptions of the wording from the old stones.

The stones were laid flat many years ago, and memorialize my own paternal fourth and fifth great-grandparents.

I have used the monumental inscriptions book for the churchyard for the part of the transcriptions the book researchers were able to discern at the time the book was published, and then used my own high resolution photographs and many hours using advanced digital techniques in PhotoShop to determine the exact wording of the memorials.

Now I am interested in placing a small brass (or any allowable material) memorial alongside the existing stones, to preserve the memory of my ancestors.

I don't live in England but in the U.S.

I have been researching various church and governmental regulations. I'm interested in any personal experiences with others who have either done something similar themselves or who have heard about such undertakings. What can I expect as I go down this path?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best Regards,
Lane R. Ellis
Eckington, Dronfield, Bolsover, Beighton, Clowne and Ault Hucknall parishes in Derbyshire, England
Green county, Wisconsin and the southern parts of Rock and Dane counties in Wisconsin
Fillmore, Olmsted, Dodge, Saint Louis and Goodhue counties in Minnesota
Adelboden, Grindelwald and Frutigen in Canton Bern, Switzerland
Rome and Westernville, Oneida county, New York
Muskingum, Coshocton, Noble, and Belmont counties in Ohio
Hylla, Rora, Inderoy, Beitstad, Verdal, and Namsos in Norway

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: Augmentation of weathered eighteenth century churchyard memorial.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 09 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lane

Have you considered contacting the reverend of the church as I guess ultimately he may need to give permission? He may also have some idea how it can be organised as you are so far away.

mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 December 09 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Yep! the place to start is obviously the Vicar, C/O the Vicarage, Eckington, Derbyshire
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 December 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Contact info from here: http://www.achurchnearyou.com/eckington-st-peter-st-paul/

takes you to the Diocese of Derby here: http://www.derby.anglican.org/contact/index.php

might be a long shot but perhaps you could place an enquiry through this page?
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline lanerellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all kindly for your replies. I will make an attempt to contact the Eckington vicar regarding my idea.

Best Regards,
Lane R. Ellis
Eckington, Dronfield, Bolsover, Beighton, Clowne and Ault Hucknall parishes in Derbyshire, England
Green county, Wisconsin and the southern parts of Rock and Dane counties in Wisconsin

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 December 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I would recommend that you do nothing in a hurry. Currently I am recording all the inscriptions in a Wiltshire churchyard where 2 of my ancestors are buried (died 1767). I personally would not want to add anything to any of the stones as it would clash and the beauty of the stone spoilt. In my view this would be as bad as putting fluorescent plastic flowers on a grave which thankfully some churchyards are now banning. Better I feel would be to get your improved recording into the county records

[ Derbyshire Record Office, County Hall, Matlock, DE4 3AG
record.office AT derbyshire.gov.uk ]

which is where a copy of my survey will go. How you actually do this would depend on what records are already there. Perhaps through Rootschat you will find someone who lives locally who has a like interest.
I come back to the start. Chew it over carefully and good luck
Toby.

Offline lanerellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 December 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your recommendations Toby. What I would like to place at the foot of the gravestones (laid flat years ago) of my fourth and fifth great grandparents are small, subtle dark brass or other inconspicuous metal plaques, perhaps ten inches by four inches, also laid flat and containing a transcription of the original text carved into the gravestone before it faded away over hundreds of years, as a way to keep the memorial to my ancestors legible for at least several hundred more years.

Keeping the small plaques as inconspicuous as possible would be of primary concern so as not to interfere with the beauty of the stone, and the small plaques would be so small as to represent only about two percent of the size of each of the very large original gravestones.

While the timeless beauty of a churchyard is very important and must certainly be considered with any modification or addition, I suggest that the primary function of a cemetery is to display the messages carved by our ancestors into stone, and preserving these historical messages for those who pay a physical visit to honor and pay respects to their forebears.

I have already preserved the inscriptions from these particular Eckington gravestones by depositing my records in several repositories, and am a great supporter of monumental inscription projects. I was lucky enough to meet one of the men who compiled the Eckington churchyard monumental inscription book while visiting Eckington in 2001, and have worked on similar projects myself here in the U.S. I applaud your efforts on the Wiltshire churchyard project Toby.

Best Regards,
Lane R. Ellis