Author Topic: The White Swan Inn, Barnsley  (Read 4688 times)

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The White Swan Inn, Barnsley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 09 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, one day I might be able to visit the library again ......

Thanks for your interest.
HALPIN (Halpen, Halpine, Alpin, Alpine) of Tallow in Waterford (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
GALLAGHER of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire
SULLIVAN of Killarney in Kerry (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
O"HARA of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Next time I go in I'll take a look (written it down in Things to do Book) and let you know if I find anything
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
That's very kind of you, thanks.
HALPIN (Halpen, Halpine, Alpin, Alpine) of Tallow in Waterford (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 December 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Just seen this thread - Pubs of Barnsley

http://www.barnsleycamra.org.uk/thebar/2008/jun-jul-2008.pdf

Page 5 A Few to remember

Woollwy
Suffolk - Reynolds,Bishop,Peck,Burrows,Smith,Chittock,Gardner,Adams
Derbyshire - Woolley,Newton,Ratcliffe,Brown,Moore,Wright,Rowland,Leech,Leach
Norfolk - Chandler,Dixon, Moore, Bone, Payne
Notts - Ward,Walters,Browne,Norman,Lee
Yorks - Robinson,Owram, Beck, Micklethwaite
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 December 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I haven't forgotten Eagleye - was going to be my job until the snow came - will get into library asap

Offline Wendy Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
   I am especially interested because my Hawksworth family owned the White Swan until the 1860's when my gr gr grandfather George (born in the Inn "yard" ) decided to farm instead.  My gr grandfather Thomas Robert Hawksworth was more an enjoyer of pubs than inkeeper...
   It was called just the Swan Inn by the 1890s.  I believe the Barnsley Chronicle did some articles on this including the photo.  Does anyone remember a date for it?  Would love to hear more...  !!!
Graham ROC / Henderson CAI / Manson CAI / Cook Moray /Hawksworth Barnsley YKS / Lofthouse Barnsley YKS / Gaunt Barnsley YKS / Higgs WILTS / Holyoak WILTS / Flounders YKS Camp Lincolnshire / Lund PEI / Enman PEI / Morris LON / Bentley LON /

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 January 10 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ebch,

For some reason I am not receiving e-mail notification for replies to my posts so hadn't seen your latest till now.  (Maybe I clicked 'unsubscribe' by mistake)

Thanks for your interest.

I'm particularly interested in the White Swan and the Chemist and Druggist at no.3 for the year 1881.  An ancestor was a servant at the Chemist's run - or owned - by a Joseph Mitchell (from census).

Happy New Year!

Eagleye

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 January 10 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year - read a piece about Queen St in 1832 Whit Tuesday the Sough Dyke that ran through town, after a furious storm ' turned into a furious river and was waist high by the time it reached Queen St.  Much damage was done, pigs drowned in their sties, cellars filled up. May Day Green was a lake and tradesmen lost heavily, especially the grocers'.

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 12:55 GMT (UK) »
   I am especially interested because my Hawksworth family owned the White Swan until the 1860's when my gr gr grandfather George (born in the Inn "yard" ) decided to farm instead.  My gr grandfather Thomas Robert Hawksworth was more an enjoyer of pubs than inkeeper...
   It was called just the Swan Inn by the 1890s.  I believe the Barnsley Chronicle did some articles on this including the photo.  Does anyone remember a date for it?  Would love to hear more...  !!!

I have just traced my family back to the White Swan too. William Hawksworth was my 3rd great grandfather. I am descended from William and Susanna (née Stead) Hawksworth's daughter Ellen Amelia who also ran pubs with her husband Frank Taylor, namely the Fountain at Ingbirchworth near Penistone and the Red Lion in Rotherham. Ellen Amelia's sister Hannah Eliza ran the White Bear Inn at Hallgate, Doncaster, with her husband George Wilmot, so it seems spirits ran in the family :) William's wife Susanna Stead was disowned by her Quaker family in 1817, two years before she married William, who - besides being an innkeeper - had an illegitimate son and was possibly not the sort of company Susanna was expected to keep. When William died in 1853, son James was present and aged 18 and probably too young to carry on the business, though he was described as an 'inn ser' in the 1851 census. In that census, son George and his family occupied the record next to William and Susanna's and could have been living in the same premises or a nearby building. As Wendy says, he was an agricultural labourer in that census and did not pick up the publican's baton. William's wife Susanna died in 1855 and was perhaps not well enough in 1853 to continue at the White Swan - I have found instances around that time where wives did keep the business going, so it was a possibility. The above references to Pigott's Directory is interesting and that is my next line of research. Thank You!

Any info regarding the Hawksworths or the White Swan would be appreciated. My family tree is on Ancestry at:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/175668224/family?cfpid=262287837547

if such links are allowed. Please get in touch there too for more info or if you have anything you would like to share.
Thanks.