Author Topic: Lydd Parish Registers  (Read 14426 times)

Offline marysearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lydd Parish Registers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 August 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
This is my direct line.    Mary Walker was the daughter of James Walker.    She married William Leeds and had one son, who died at the age of 8 and was buried with his grandparents, John and Mary Leeds.    His father William was buried with them when he died in 1856.    I am not sure what happened to Mary, there are some burials for various Mary Leeds, but at least 2 of them were a sister and aunt of William.    William had at least 8 illegitimate children with Elizabeth George from c. 1802 to 1824.    He made a will and divided his estate between them.    This couple started the Leeds-George family of Lydd.   Some descendants used the double name, some Leeds, some George ..... just to confuse us!    I have extensive records of this family.

Tyler: Lincs, Cambs, London 1700s+
Scargell: Lincs, Cambs 1700s +
Lloyd: Bermondsey, Lambeth 1800+
Clarke, Costello, Griffin, Veldon: Co. Mayo 1800+
McNally, Thompson, Foster: Ireland and Northumberland 1800 +
Leeds-George: anywhere from 1800 +
Leeds, George, Terry, Dowle, Sheppard: Kent 1700+
Dennett: Charing Kent 1700 +
Aldred, Wilson: N.E. Suffolk 1700+

Offline marysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 August 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, misleading you there, Mary Walker was probably daughter of Thomas not James - should have checked my database before replying.   Still the same links to Wm Leeds though.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Marysearch

Thank you so much for the information about Mary Walker from Lydd.

I would be really interested to know more  :)

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline marysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have any more than stated in my previous message re Mary Walker (m 29 Sep 1793 Wm. Leeds, both "of Lydd" according to register) except the notes on her son.   "1st, male, born to Mrs. Wm. Leeds delivered 9th Oct 1796" source Wm Waylett's midwife records.    baptism for Wm Jnr. November 1796 at All Saints Lydd but death and burial "in 9th year" at All Saints, Lydd + Duncan Leland's MIs for Lydd - (Kent Archaelogy website) tie in with the birth record.      My connection is via one of the 8 half siblings of that child, fathered between1802-1824 by her husband William Leeds b 1774 - d 1856. 

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
Ok thank you for all your information.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Can I run through a thought I have had please?

I have found a marriage using the link you gave me between

William LEEDS
Mary WALKER
29 Sept 1793
Lydd, Kent

I just wondered whether Mary Walker was in fact a widow marrying William Leeds, her maiden name being Woods.  The area is so small, although I don't know the size of it in the late 1790s.  I havent been successful in finding a marriage between a Mr ____ Walker and a Mary Wood.

There is also a William Leeds age 8 being buried in 1805 which may or may not be part of the same family?

Just wondered what you think please?

Sorry but I can't see, at first glance, that this is immediately relevant.

Jane Wood LEEDS was baptised in 1788 the dau of Mary LEEDS.  Mary LEEDS may have been single or a widow at this time.  WOOD may well have been the surname of Jane's father as it was quite common for illegitimate children to be given the surname of their father as a second forename and WOOD was quite a common name in that area.

There is a Mary LEEDS having the following children baptised in Lydd but whether they are all the same Mary LEEDS might need sorting out ...........

Elizabeth 1783
Jane Wood 1788
Michael Impet 1795
Michael 1799
Catherine 1802

Or am I missing something ???

Can you follow any of these children forward ie. census or BMD etc. to see if there are any clues to their ancestry/relationship to Jane Wood LEEDS?

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 August 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
The Mary Leeds who had at least 3 of the children listed (I don't know about the Wood child which I have never noted before) was unmarried.   There is a bastardy settlement for the Michael Impett children.     There is a later bastardy settlement for Mary Leeds against R. Brackenbury "late of Lydd" for  child Catherine.   It is likely that this Mary was the daughter of John Leeds and his second wife Mary Baker (this couple is my direct line via their son William).    The other Mary Leeds mentioned in my reply of 1st August to the other message was married.    There are 3 burials for  women named Mary Leeds at Lydd.    3 Nov 1841, aged 69, and 29 Dec 1830 aged 68.     The earlier Nov 1781 burial was the 2nd wife of John Leeds above.   There was an extensive Wood family in Lydd during that period, but I have not yet found any connection with the Leeds-George family until 1850's.   

It is worth noting that there seem to be errors in the Lydd transcripts now on IGI.    For example, some of Elizabeth George's children 1801 to 1824 are listed with the incorrect surname of Leeds, whereas  in the registers, they were listed with the middle name of Leeds, last name George.    (They appear to use either surname, or both, in subsequent records and census returns throughout 19th century and beyond. )       

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 February 11 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Mary

I am sorry but I seem to have somehow missed your last msg on this matter.

I have been looking through the msgs you have made with regard to this family and, like you say, they are a complicated family.

I discovered today that Jane Wood Leeds maybe had a child, named Thomas Bass bapt 25 Dec 1809, Lydd which I have found on the new Family search site which has been updated and appears to contain alot more info on Lydd that the original IGI  :)

I am grateful to you for clearing up the query I had with regard to William Leeds and Mary Walker.

I would be really interested and pleased to hear from you further regarding this family.

Offline marysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 February 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I had a Thomas Bass Leeds born 1809, but had not noted details of his mother.   He was illegitimate, no father recorded but it was likely to have been Thomas Bass who lived in Lydd at that time.     There are a few Leeds women having illegitimate children at around that time (late 18th and early 19th centuries).    Various fathers were Pope, Brackenbury, Impett, Blacklocks, Bass, Wood.   

As I think I mentioned previously, some of the IGI information is incorrectly transcribed as there are instances where the original parish registers give Leeds as child's middle name, not their last name.

Mary