Author Topic: Gauffier family - born scotland somewhere?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline arroli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gauffier family - born scotland somewhere?
« on: Wednesday 09 December 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Advice please, where to start my search
Im looking for a family who came from France to Scotland, had one child then moved to London
I am searching for Caroline Ameila Frederica Gauffier, only info on birth is 1813 Scotland (info from census)...where to look?
Thanks

Dupicate post here:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,424021.msg2890269.html#msg2890269

Please reply on this thread

Further info supplied on the other

Benjamin Gauffier m Maria Frederica ?
Children Alphonse Gauffier, Frederica,  and Caroline Amelia Frederica born Scotland 1813
Caroline married Francis Card in 1825 London

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gauffier family - born scotland somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Well, you'll need to start by (ideally) finding a location in France, name and dates for a immigrant ancestor.
Depending on the date they came to Scotland you might be looking at Huguenots (and then there are different resources to look for), or the occupations the family were associated with might give a hint.

Although your dates seem off - if Caroline married in 1825 she surely wasn't b. 1813?   (I looked again and it seems the marriage was in Westminster in 1835).  The name could be (possibly?) found as Gaufier, Gautier, Gauthier (the last is a very common name).

I would suggest you start by looking at Scottish records for Caroline e.g. try http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

There also seems to be a Hortense Gauffier who was b. 1819 (in France according to censuses) but was christened in a CoE church in Westminster in 1843, with parents Benjamin and Maria Frederica.  She and mother Maria appear to be in London in 1841. She was in the London censuses in 1881 and 1891 but I don't know where she was inbetween.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arroli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
HI Jorose,
thanks for your help and advice...sorry I did mis type date of wedding :-[
I shall have a look at link you sent for Scotlands People, like you advise, I have been trying to find info on birth for Caroline
I think there is a possibility that Hortense Gauffier may be a sister to Caroline, as Caroline named one of  her children Joesphine Hortense, and likewise, Hortense her daughter Frederica, Caroline;s middle name is Frederica...
Not sure about the Hugenot idea, the family seem to be linked to jewellery occupations
On with my search...

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with Caroline I'm afraid but just wondered if you had seen the Maria F Gauffier (transcribed as Ganffier at Ancestry) in 1851 at Reading? She is 54 and a widow born Paris.

Offline arroli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cookies4

No havent previously seen that one, thats brilliant, thanks for your help....
Confirms Maria F Gauffier was born in Paris 1797
 :)

Offline Gauffier

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendent of Maria Frederika Gauffier and her daughter Caroline Amelia Card (nee Gauffier).  I have a fair bit of info re MFG including location of her grave in Reading, her will and a photo of her at death, along with other info about the family coming forward.  I have not managed to trace back from MFG though so it sounds like you are more advanced than I am.  How are you related? 

Offline arroli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello, how interesting...
Caroline A Gauffier was my gt gt grandmother!

Offline readingoldcemetery

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 24 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I am leading a project commemorating people buried in Reading Old Cemetery and we came across Madame Maria Frederika Gauffier. We would love to know more about her life story. She died on 23 Jan 1871vat the age of 76 years. It is interesting to find out that she had children as there is not much we could find about her. If it is appropriate we would like to find out more and include her story on the website. I am not sure whether we are allowed to share external links to share the project website with you. I will wait for the moderation for this post first.

Thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Please do post the link to the project. Always helps having additional background!

Unfortunately, arroli and Gauffier have not been back online on RC for many years. They should get a notification of your post if their email is still live.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk