Author Topic: COOK Battersea  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Gaz 1961

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
COOK Battersea
« on: Thursday 10 December 09 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info on my great grandad, James Cook, born 1852 or 1853 in Pimlico, living at 35 Latchmere Grove, Battersea, on the 1901 census with wife Sarah and eight kids James, Arthur, Charlotte, Michael, Florence, Jane, Amelia and Charles (my grandad).
I wonder if anyone else on here is researching this family, can't find any reference to it.
COOK / Battersea / Wandsworth

Offline fied

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COOK Battersea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Pure serendipity! My great-grandfather was your great-grandfather. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether my grandfather was his son James, or Michael, though Michael is more likely. However, he also lived in Latchmere Grove (can't remember the number), wife Elizabeth, and had 10 children, one of whom died in infancy. My father, Frederick Cook, their eldest child, was born in 1912. Two others of my grandfather's children also lived in Latchmere Grove, his daughter, Elizabeth (married name James; husband, George James; three children, all girls), and his son, James (wife, Gladys; 13 children).

As far as I know, there's been no research done on the Cook family of Battersea.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
No relation just doing a look up for you.

1891 census 433/19-20  35 Latchmere Grove

James 35 Plasterer Pimlico
Sarah 30 Lambeth
James 15 Labourer
Ada 13
Charlotte 7
Michael 4
Florence 2
George 8 weeks all children born Battersea

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Have you got a birth cert for James jnr, is Sarah his mother?

Could Sarah be James 2nd wife? there is a James Cook on the1881 census born Pimlico with a wife Eliza born Hackney & a son James aged 5. Gives his age as 35 but would need to check the original to see if it is 25?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaz 1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, no, haven't managed to get hold of any birth certificates yet, I had that all planned out for the week after Christmas but unfortunately I was in hospital and haven't managed to sort that out yet.
I know next to nothing about my great-grandad James so he may well have been married twice. In fact I know next to nothing about my grandfather Charlie who died 11 years before I was born. Thanks for the replies though, it's very encouraging to find out these little nuggets of information.
Gaz x

Offline Gaz 1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Pure serendipity! My great-grandfather was your great-grandfather. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether my grandfather was his son James, or Michael, though Michael is more likely. However, he also lived in Latchmere Grove (can't remember the number), wife Elizabeth, and had 10 children, one of whom died in infancy. My father, Frederick Cook, their eldest child, was born in 1912. Two others of my grandfather's children also lived in Latchmere Grove, his daughter, Elizabeth (married name James; husband, George James; three children, all girls), and his son, James (wife, Gladys; 13 children).

Hello my long-lost cousin, what is your name? Can I put you on my family tree?
Also, do you know if your grandad served in the RAF during the war?
Gaz x

Moderator comment: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policies.

Offline fied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Email sent. Good hunting!

Another piece of info is that the Latchmere Grove terraces were all three up-three down types, with a long garden and, in my grandpa's case, a huge allotment at the foot of the railway embankment at the back.

How they ever brought up such large families in those conditions is beyond me. Weekly baths were taken at the nearby Latchmere Public Baths and weekly laundry was done at the attached Public Washouse. The Latchmere Baths complex is still there.

Offline Gaz 1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 10 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Another long-lost cousin Steve who I came across on Facebook said that his great-grandad was Michael and that he used to keep pigs in the back yard at Latchmere Grove. Gaz x

Offline fied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Pigs.

He did indeed and pigeons. We occasionally were given a sucking pig and, more often, a pigeon; in fact, he often provided vegetables from the allotment, as well.

A cousin Steve? I can't think who his father might have been. Charlie Cook or Bunny Cook, perhaps, my father's brothers? There were so many cousins I never knew them all.