Author Topic: Margaret KERMODE - Born 1843 ELIZABETH A Kermode 1876 SANTON  (Read 4352 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Margaret KERMODE - Born 1843 ELIZABETH A Kermode 1876 SANTON
« on: Thursday 10 December 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help my friend in Australia with further information on Margaret Kermode born 1841 - 1843 & her daughter Elizabeth A born 1876 Santon. Isle Of Man.

In 1881 Margaret & her husband John Kermode were living at 2 Anns Terrace. In the Parish of St Anne.
John was a shoemaker but died between 1881 - 1891.

In 1891 Margaret still has 2 daughters with her and is a Grocer at 4 Anns Terrace.  Elizabeth A Kermode born 1876 is still with Margaret at this stage.

In 1901 Margaret is under Mary on the Census page and Marg on the scan still living at Anns Terrace (3) as a shop-keeper/grocer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret KERMODE - Born 1843 ELIZABETH A Kermode 1876 SANTON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
hi I know very little about Isle of Man BMD but there is a free site where you can browse for BMD. I think it starts later than your Elizabeth A's birth, but you may be able to find her parents' deaths and her marriage etc.

Its  www.manxBMD.com

Hope this helps
 :)
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks greenpaula - you are a star  ;D ;D

I think this may give my friend Lynne a date of death for John Kermode in Santon 1889 - Age 54 years  (B1 page 72) if she follows your link later.

Also a possible death for Margaret Kermode in Santon 1906 (B1 172) Aged 64 years

If this couple were in business in Santon and operating out of almost the same address for 20 years plus. - would there be any records to look at from that angle please.

Thanks a million.
Sandra  ;D

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Go       www.iomfhs.im                                             Top   RH   corner    /   Research   /   Burials   

note    well /  Brian   Lawson's   list is   Burials   not   Deaths

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Voirrey M. That seems to be defining our search for the death dates of John & Margaret, Looks like 8th March 1889 for John and 30 November 1906 for Margaret.

Not having much luck with a marriage for Elizabeth A born 1876.

Many Thanks.
Sandra  ;D

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 December 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
directories on http://www.manxnotebook.com - 1881 Kermode, John, shoemaker, Castletown-road, 1894 Kermode Mrs, shopkeeper, Castletown-road
in burial reg margt kermode of Newtown age 64 30 nov 1906 - no addl info on john
Newtown is along the castletown road - some info on my website
you could see if there is an MI - ask on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes as a frequent poster there has all the MI books

Kermode is not that common in Santan (the smallest of Manx parishes) - John s/o John Kermode + Jane Quane was a shoemakers app in 1851 living on New Road Santan - this the new (ie early 19th C) road from Douglas to Castletown that passes through Newtown (a small hamlet) so could be same family
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 09 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your time & efforts and the helpful sites for us to look through.

Please could anyone tell me which is the cheapest option & where my friend can get BMD cetificates for the Isle Of Man ?   ;D

Best Wishes.
Sandra  ;D ;D

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 December 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
remember civil reg only started 1877/8 - before this all you get is a copy of the official transcription of the parish reg (which as I've said is on mormon microfilm) - for civil certs see htttp://www.gov.im - look up general registry - they apparently don't do creditr cards (unless they have changed recently)
any thing with a Manx Connection