Author Topic: STRAPS marriage to EASTLAND  (Read 2308 times)

Offline warwickb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STRAPS marriage to EASTLAND
« on: Thursday 10 December 09 22:01 GMT (UK) »
hi

Richard STRAPS married Ann EASTLAND circa 1776.

Ann (bApril 1759 Upton) is the youngest child of Michael EASTLAND  (b Kexby) & Mary ROBINSON (bStow-in-Lindsay).

Richard & Ann appear to have had two sons: Eastland STRAPS (b1777 Kettlethorpe) and William (b 1784 Gainsborough). They obviously moved around.

I have only found two Richard STRAPS (on IGI) that would fit the right age group:
one born 1749/50 in Donington (eldest son of John & Eleanor STRAPS) and 1753 in Beckingham (son of Richard STRAPS & Ann SNEATH).  The latter is a better fit for locality, family naming and being younger son, but there could be another floating around.

Therefore interested please for look up's in any of teh above localities for Richard STRAPS, birth or marriage or children of Richard and Ann.

Many thanks in anticipation

Regards
Warwick
CUL:Armstrong,Barron,Bell,Coulson,Cousin,Cowper,Dryden,  Edmondson,Hodgson,Irving,Johnston,Lowthian,McIntyre,Moor, Rutter,Scot,Watson,Dobley,Harrison
WES:Lowthian,Pearson,Sowerby
LANC:Harrison,Mortimer,Woods
YKS:Driver,Turnell,Turton
LEI:Turnell,Brewin
LDN:Moody,Ford,Jeffery,Wright
CON:Newcombe
ESS:Andrews,Linnett,Fairhead,Laver,Bedwell
LIN:Capps,Eastland,Liman,Mansfield,Pidd,Straps
DBY:Else, Norman,Oakes
MGY:Rees,Mortimer,Hughes,Humphreys
MON:Attwood,Williams,Herbert,Rumsey
France:Mortimer

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STRAPS marriage to EASTLAND
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 December 09 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't help you in suggesting the source of the forename Eastland :(

My marriage index has two marriages for Richard STRAPS at Beckingham, perhaps the same chap.

1) 1772 Elizabeth HUNTER
2) 1774 Ann CHALLENS

1784 Ann EASTLAND married John WRIGHT at Scotter is the closest I can find.

Burial 10 April 1825 at Beckingham, Ann STRAPP (75)

Perhaps Eastland was a bad transcription of Challand (or vice versa) ???
EDIT: Easland STRAPS married Rebecca MANSFORD at Grantham 14 May 1801

ANOTHER EDIT:  I had been thinking that Grantham was a long way from Beckingham ... I had been thinking it was the Beckingham near Gainsborough (and Upton) which is in Notts.  But there is a Beckingham in Lincs, a few miles east of Newark.  This would seem to bring a few Ann CHALLENSs from Fulbeck and Grantham into the game.  I would be extremely hesitant to bring Ann EASTLAND from Upton 25 miles south just because she existed. Map http://tinyurl.com/ybqwdgv
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 09 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage of Eastlands Straps and Rebecca Mansford took place at St Wulframs Church Grantham.

The info is as follows
Eastland Straps  Batchelor  of the Parish of Canwick in this County & Rebecca Mansford of this Parish.Spinster.Married in this Church by Banns. 14/May/1801

Both signed their names (but Eastland signed his first name without the T)
Witnesses were Thomas Straps & ? Strapps(First name hard to read.)

Kathy

Offline warwickb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 09 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your input.

I comfortable with my research back as far as Eastland STRAPS and obviously his birth which is recorded on IGI as son of Richard STRAPS & Ann UNKNOWN. His mother I believed to be Ann EASTLAND dau of Michael EASTLAND b Kexby 1724/25 and Mary ROBINSON b 1725/26 Stow-In-Lindsay near Upton, having been passed that information by others however some of their research has been suspect in some places and I don't have the source information, so difficult at present to prove. 

Have just located a death on FreeBMD for an Eastland STRAPS dated Sept Qtr 1850 in Sheffield! That would make him 73 - not beyond the realm of possibility. Can't find though in 1841C on Ancestry.

The reference to 'Bachelor of the parish of Canwick' is interesting as there are actually two parish records for marriages of Eastland STRAPS to Rebecca MANSFORD/MANSFIELD - the other is in Canwick 29 March 1801, 6 weeks before the Grantham marriage. Can't believe there are two couples of same distinctive names.

It is assumed in the information I have been given that Rebecca came from Wragby, slightly NE of Canwick, being dau. of Henry MANSFIELD and Ann LIMON - she is the only Rebecca that appears to fit with the name MANSFIELD. Eastland and Rebecca's children are born in Dunham NOTTS so they family are moving around.
Meanwhile there is a christening for a Rebecca MANSFORD to John & Elizabeth at South Scarle, NOTTS which is between Newark-On-Trent and Lincoln - seems a bit far from Grantham.  It would be great to get the transcription of the Canwick marriage.

Thanking anyone for any further information on the STRAPS, EASTLAND's MANSFIELD's that helps with this jigsaw!
Regards
Warwick
CUL:Armstrong,Barron,Bell,Coulson,Cousin,Cowper,Dryden,  Edmondson,Hodgson,Irving,Johnston,Lowthian,McIntyre,Moor, Rutter,Scot,Watson,Dobley,Harrison

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Eastland STRAPS was buried 1 Sept 1850 at Sheffield aged 73.

Mention of Canwick is interesting ....  the village had earlier STRAPS connections as this marriage shows-

26 June 1753 at Canwick, John STRAPPS to Catherine STRAPPS
Two children at Canwick and one at Potterhanworth - see IGI

then, only a mile or so down the road at Washingborough

1799 Thomas STRAPS to Arabella ABRAHAM (wid)
Thomas was buried at Washingborough in 1849 aged 72 - this is a possible match with a Beckingham baptism, son of Thomas and Ann.
1805 Joseph BROWN (wid) to Mary STRAPS
Mary BROWN died in 1853 at Washingborough aged 79 ... 1851 census gives her birthplace as Beckingham - again probably a daughter of Thomas and Ann.
My index gives an 1774 Beckingham marriage as Thomas STRAPS to Ann BONCER

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Meanwhile there is a christening for a Rebecca MANSFORD to John & Elizabeth at South Scarle, NOTTS which is between Newark-On-Trent and Lincoln - seems a bit far from Grantham. 

South Scarle is only a couple of miles from Eagle (1807, 1811) and 5-6 miles from Dunham (1801, 1803) - where Eastland's kids were bap.

Of course, Rebecca's being several months pregnant at the time of her marriage may have had a bearing on the place of marriage(s).

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 09 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Warwick

Have sent pm in regards to Grantham marriage.

Kathy

Offline warwickb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 09 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Geoff & Kathy

Thank you for your continuing help. The Mansford connection is looking promising.I think finding teh Canwick marriage transcription will help with regard to the spelling of MANSFORD v's MANSFIELD.

Geoff mentions Canwick and earlier STRAPS connections. The earlier family tree I was given tracked back STRAPS ancestors through Beckingham to Coleby (which I have tracked and beleive the original linkages to be wrong) which is just south of Washingborough. But until I can work out the Richard STRAPS query first posted it is difficult to connect back.

This earlier family tree I was given refers to Richard STRAPS as Richard William STRAPS. I have yet to find references to him in listings.

Re Eastland STRAPS death in Sheffield I'm beginning to think that makes sense. His daughter Mary STRAPS, my 3g grandmother married Samuel DRIVER of Sheffield and then a Peter FRANCE - that couple are in the 1841C and 1851C in Sheffield.

Reegards
Warwick

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 April 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Looking for any info re the following & any help would be fantastic.

Regards,

Gary
Australia.

Elinor (Anne) Hepen found in 107 treesView all
Marriage   xx xxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLincolnshire, England
Death   xx xxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxLincolnshire, England
Record information.
Father   xxxxx (Born 1670)
Spouse   William Strapps (1692-xxxx)
   3958 People1 Record4 Sources
History
William Straps