Author Topic: free bmd query  (Read 1488 times)

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
free bmd query
« on: Friday 11 December 09 06:15 GMT (UK) »
anyone know what [NH]  after the christian name means on a birth reg. on freebmd.
thank you
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: free bmd query
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 December 09 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My first thought is that they are the initials of middle names as from Sept Qtr 1910 only initials of middle names are shown in the index.  What are the details of the person you are referring to?

Andy

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 December 09 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  If the entry appears as you have typed it - with [ ] square brackets rather than ( ) rounded brackets, this means that there is an initial for the second forename but that the transcriber cannot decipher whether it is N or H.  In this case we are told to use [NH] to signify this uncertainty.

Hope this helps.  :)

BumbleB 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 December 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
thank you, the entry i refer to is eily corby , stockwell, dec, 1910.
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 December 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the original page, and in my opinion, as an ex-Secretary, the middle name begins with N.  But my explanation was just as I thought, the transcriber was not sure which of the two letters it was, and so used the formula laid down by FreeBMD to put the options into square brackets.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY