Author Topic: Maguires of Fermanagh?  (Read 20180 times)

Offline cwfqueen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maguires of Fermanagh?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 January 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

There is another Loftus Albert Maguire buried at Dundonald according to cemetery records.
Grave 461, E3
James Gilmore - husband of Charlotte Ellis's sister, Mary.45 yrs.  22-09-1909
Maud Marion Hanford 2yrs 8mths 08-11-10
Loftus Albert Maguire 68 yrs 03-02-1911 -
Julia Hanford. 67 yrs. 28-10-1937
Henry Hanford 67 01-02-1949

I am trying to figure out how he was related to the Hanfords.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Carlm

• RootsChat Extra
  • "Never pass a bar with your name on it."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 January 12 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi cwfqueen:
eamag should be getting in touch.  His grandad was Loftus Albert Maguire.
Cheers
Carl
MAGUIRE, PATTERSON, OWENS, BRANDON

Offline Carlm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maguires of Fermanagh Update
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 06:46 BST (UK) »
I've now travelled back as far as 1820 to the townland of Cleggan and the Cornagee Church of Ireland which is now the Mullaghdun Parish Church in the parish of Cleenish and Mullaghdun.  My great great grandfolks, Thomas MAGUIRE b. 1782, and Lucy PATTERSON b. 1806 were the fifth couple to be married in the then new church, 24 November 1820. Lucy shown as being from Cleggan, Thomas from "Derrybyon, Rossorry"; (My best guess is a transcription error of Drumlyon, Rossorry.)
Daughter Mary Ann baptised 01 July 1821.
Son James ( my great grand father) baptised 19 June 1825.
Margaret Jane baptised 18 July 1829.
Susan born 17 June 1841, baptised 18 July 1841
Son John who was born about 1836 is not recorded here.
There were a Thomas and Eliza Patterson also living in Cleggan who had a son William baptised 01 June 1823, making him a contemporary of my James Maguire, and a possible cousin of Lucy. When the family emigrated to Canada in 1847, a William Patterson was listed on the same ticket.
The ticket for passage on the J & J Cooke ship Superior out of Londonderry may have been purchased in Blacklion.  It seems to be the nearest town large enough to have a ticketing agent.
I'm still looking for traces of Lucy Patterson's parents in the area served by the Cornagee (Mullaghdun) Church of Ireland, and Thomas Maguire's family perhaps near Drumlyon, Rossorry.
All leads most appreciated!
Cheers
Carl
"Never pass a bar with your name on it." (Pete McCarthy's eighth rule of foreign travel.)

Offline Carlm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I now have a scan of the original record of the Thomas Maguire- Lucy Patterson marriage in 1820, and Thomas' home townland is obviously "Derry-something".  Most assuredly not "Drum-anything". I'm not surprised that the transcriber called it "Derrybyon".  I'd have called it "Derrydoon" myself.   The second part is probably Rossorry all right.
So. 
Derrybyon doesn't exist.
Derrydoon is in Galloon, not Rossorry.
Would the minister have written in two prior townlands or parishes without a comma or an and between them?  Where was Thomas Maguire from?
Cheers
Carl

Offline Telebyte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 November 23 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Seeking Anne Maguire (b. circa 1855) and her ancestors. Father was Pat Maguire whose occupation was a farmer. She married Felix McCann 28 Feb. 1877 in Enniskillen. Felix McCann's father was Joseph McCann, occupation laborer. Both Anne and Felix appear in the 1901 census at 11 Silverhill Townland, Enniskillen Rural, Co. Fermanagh. Anne and Felix McCann had 10 children born with 8 living in 1901. Daughter Maggie (Margaret Anne McCann, born circa 1893) was my grandmother. Would also like info on Maggie's siblings and their descendants.

I have figured out the 10 Children from Anne and Felix McCann:   Patrick (1877), Bridget (1879), Joseph (1883), Catherine (1884), John (1885), Felix (1887), Mary Jane (1890), Maggie A. (1893), Lizzie (1895), and Hugh (1896).