Author Topic: Freakley  (Read 9489 times)

poppylouise

Re: Freakley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 January 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have not been on here since 2009!  :o :o
What area do you live?

Offline Theresa C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 January 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I live in Northamptonshire but my Mother was born in City of London, her father was Charles John Freakley born 1871 in Lambeth died 1930 in Archway, his Father was Charles Henry Freakley (sometimes known as Henry Charles) born 1830 in Lambeth died 1902 in Lambeth, his father was James Freakley born 1804 in Southwark Surrey died 1855 in Lambeth, we have no idea who his father was but his mother was either Ann or Alice Freakley from Standon Staffordshire.  James married Elizabeth Brown and they had 6 or 7 children, in the 1841 Census all of the children were in the Norwood Lambeth Workhouse.  Charles Henry married Matilda Kemp and when she died he married her sister Elizabeth they had 7 children.  Charles John married Margaret Perry and had 2 children, he then married my grandmother Catherine Sanders and they had 4 children (2 of which died in childhood)

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 January 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theresa

There is a record in FreeReg ( http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl ), if you search on James Freakley christened 1804 in Staffordshire which gives the mothers name as Ann and James is illegitimate.

There is a site named Mundia operated by Ancestry.co.uk which was a free access site which allowed people to upload their family trees and one on there gave a connection between this James, a marriage to an Elizabeth Brown and five offspring Ann 1822, Robert john 1826, Charles Henry 1831, Emma 1833 and Harriet 1835. The first two born Southwark, the last two in Lambeth. Unfortunately this site is now subscription only and I can no longer access it to.

Unfortunately I have no more info on this family.

Mac
Macdonald/McDonald Kent, Edinburgh
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa C

Thanks for all that info. 

I thought that the husbands of Margaret Perry and Catherine Sanders were two different people but could only find one Charles who could fit so that helped me.

I don't know if you know but it would appear that Margaret was married previously. Proceedings of the Old Bailey show that in 1902 she was charged with bigamously marrying Charles Frederick (?) Freakley but was found not guilty as she claimed she hadn't seen or heard of her husband in over seven years.

I haven't found anything which points to James being born in London and the christening at Standen is the only reference I have for that year. Can I ask what your source is for his birth please?

Sorry I can't add anything to what you know.

Mac
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline Theresa C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mac

No i did not know that Margaret Perry had been previously married and must admit that we did often think that Charles maybe married my Nan (Catherine Sanders) bigamously as none of us could find a death for Margaret that fitted with when he married my Nan in 1914.  The reason for thinking James was possibly born in London was that my Nan told my Uncle Harry that she thought that was where he was born, it was also her that told him that James was illigitamate.  Somehow always knew that his mother came from Standon though but do not know why or where from as both my mother and uncle Harry are dead now.  Margaret's son Charles emigrated to Australia with his wife and some of his children some more were born in Perth, her daughter Ellen was a nun in holy orders in Bournmouth (I think) south coast anyway.  Hope this is interesting to you.

Regards

Theresa

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theresa

Another interesting submission.

I believe I'm right in saying that Charles was Charles Bluff Freakley but I can't find any likely marriage for him in the BMDs.

I tried Google'ing him and found that his Aunt Harriet married into the Druce family and they had a Charles Bluff Druce and thats the only other time I've come across the name.
The result was on ancestry.au (Australia) so next time I get access to Ancestry I'll look further into this.

Mac
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline Theresa C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 January 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
hi Mac, I have found Charles marriage, he married in 1926 to Constance Ellen in Marylebone London, in the marriage register he is down as Charles J, I do not know why but I do know that it was Connie Ellen that he married because when his daughter Margaret used to come and stay with my parents she used to visit her late Mother's brother in Stow on the Wold, I also remember my mother talking about Connie, Charles was 19 when my mother was born.  Yes Harriet did marry into the Druce family and they also had a Charles Bluff, I have a feeling I have found another Bluff but I am not sure where.  Charles and Connie had 6 children that I know of, Margaret born 1931, John born 1928, Vivien born 1934, Teresa born 1929, Mary 1933 and Charlie born after they arrived in Australia(who has Cerabal Palsey, I think, and lives in a care home in Perth W Australia).  Hope you find this interesting as well, I am relly enjoying finding out more about the Freakley's.

Regards, Theresa

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.
I have Mary Freakley, d/o Alice & sister of James b Standon Staffordshire, She married my 3xguncle John Norman an officer of the Excise. They had a son John who died in infancy & Mary died 2 years later.

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theresa

I always find new info interesting. Nearly all of my info comes from the internet and what you find there is limited. To tie up properly a lot of the Freakleys I've found I would have to buy about £10,000 worth of certificates so any info I get which helps tie up families is very much appreciated.

To try and add to your list, on FreeBMD I found a Patricia L Freakley, birth registered Staines Q1 1932, mothers maiden name Ellen. It appears she died Q1 1933 aged 1 again registered Staines.
This is a case of 'its all conjecture' but from your point of view I bet it's worth further investigation.

Hi mrsruz

Great to hear from you. I'm investigating your family but may take me a little while but I'll definately come back to you.

Mac
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants