Author Topic: MERVYN Family Cavan  (Read 2293 times)

Offline harpy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MERVYN Family Cavan
« on: Saturday 12 December 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Hi. Does anyone know of the Mervyn family in Cavan (sorry, don't know which area, possibly Arvagh). I am trying to find my g.g.grandad:

HERBERT MERVYN born approx 1834. He ended up in Sheffield as I have a wedding certificate for 1859. He had sons (in Sheffield) called William, Herbert, Henry and Thomas as well as daughters, Kate and Sarah (perhaps these are family names). His name was mis-spelt in England - MURFIN.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MERVYN FAMILY CAVAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 09 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is the people of that surname in Griffiths Valuation

Surname Forename Townland Parish County
Mervyn Henry Corporation Lands Annagh Cavan
Mervyn Henry Holbo,Beltu.,(Corp. Lands) Annagh Cavan
Mervyn Henry Red Bog,Corporation Lands Annagh Cavan
Mervyn Henry College,Cavan,(Lurganboy) Urney Cavan
Mervyn William Main St,Cavan,(Townparks) Urney Cavan

Griffiths was a list of those who rented/held land/property and only list heads of house and was taken in mid 1850's for the Cavan area.

Did the marriage certificate list his father's name?

Ger

Offline harpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MERVYN Family Cavan
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Ger,

Many thanks for that info. it is very helpful and thanks for replying so quickly.
Herbert's father is also down as Herbert on the wedding certificate, but I feel this is an error as it also gives the same job of 'coachman'.
It may be likely that his father is Henry and that William is his uncle or vice-versa as he goes on to have sons called William and Henry. His first born son is William, followed by Herbert, Henry and Thomas. I don't know if it was customary to name the first born after the grandfather?

Herbert's occupation was that of groom (non-domestic), horse-keeper and coachman. Sheffield has the Wentworth Estate nearby whose family where Anglo-Irish. I wonder if this family were landowners in Cavan?

Looks like a trip to the archives is in order, but I wouldn't know where to start!

Kind regards,

Kathleen.

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 09 11:33 GMT (UK) »
On this link

Griffiths Valuation MERVYN  Cavan

You can view original Griffiths Valuation pages which shows that the MERVYN's were renting small holdings mostly. If you click on the icon that looks like a page on the right you can zoom in and see the details.

So to answer you question does not appear to be landowners in mid 1850's anyway which was common at time very few people actually owed land was mostly controlled by landlords.

Ger

Offline harpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 09 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ger,
Thank you for the link, it makes for interesting reading, especially the leasing of a 'red bog'.
I wondered if the Wentworth estate owned land in Cavan (it would be wishful thinking to hope my lot did!) as the family name  for the estate was Fitzwilliam.
I'm wondering if my relative went to work for them in England. I have started looking at the Sheffield archives, but the Wentworth files are HUGE. Also, my relative was a non-domestic groom so wouldn't have lived on the estate.
I have been told that Herbert may have left Ireland at the height of the famine - was Cavan badly affected?
Thank you for taking the time to look things up.

Kind regards,

Kathleen. :)