Author Topic: "Earl's" WW2 & Guernsey  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
"Earl's" WW2 & Guernsey
« on: Sunday 13 December 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Do not know if this is they right place in the forum for this but will go ahead anyway.
FAMILY NAME EARL

My grandfathers family left Guernsey before or just after the Germans arrived.  They left everything behind and never returned.  They left behind all family photos etc., they came originally from Dublin, and were tomato growers.  Is there any chance someone our there knows what might have happened to all their belongings (my main interest is photos) would the Gemans have taken over their home & burnt or destroyed the stuff that they did not want?

My grandfather was buried in St. Sampsons (his grave being one of those that fell into the quarry in the 60') So I am assuming they lived in this area of Guernsey. :'(
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Earl's" WW2 & Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Although I live in Jersey I would imagine that the circumstances are similar.

If they were resident on the island during the occupation they would have had a Registration Card issued by the Germans. This would contain all of their personal details together with a photograph. Jersey cards are available through the Archive Centre.

I think it unlikely that they would have left the island once it was occupied.

I would make contact with the Guernsey Library who would be able to direct you as to where these cards are stored or the Guernsey Occupation Society.

Stewart

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
No they all left just before from what I can gather from talking to my elderly cousin.

But all they took with them was a suitcase each, so no space for photos etc..  I assume that in the weeks prior to the Germans arriving people had a chance to leave?

They were all originally from Ireland and had moved to Guernsey on advice for Health reasons.  I do know that they were tomato growers.

They all seem to have ended up on the South Coast.  Dorset & Hampshire.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 10 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I do know that in Jersey, only people born in Jersey were given the option of staying or going. All others had to leave.

Stewart

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Porbably the same situation in Guernsey which is why they left with very little, no time to plan etc.

Thanks for that