Author Topic: Jemima Ferguson (nee Kennedy)  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Waiwera

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Ferguson (nee Kennedy)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »

More than willing to help as I have collected a lot of certificates and  some information on Henry and Jemima Ferguson  and family. How can I arrange exchanging this information.

Waiwera
Ferguson,Dundee. Taylor, Banks and More and Fyfe, Midlothian. Sleigh and Stanners, Linlithgow. Hendry, Renfrewshire. McDowell, Dumbarton.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Now that you have posted twice on the main forum, you should be able to use the Private Message (PM) service that works very much like a private email service within RootsChat. If you click on the small green scroll under DNAsearcher name on the l/h side, it will take you through to the PM service which is the preferred way of exchangeing personal emails etc.  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waiwera

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Will follow your suggestion re PM

Learning something new each time.

Waiwera

Ferguson,Dundee. Taylor, Banks and More and Fyfe, Midlothian. Sleigh and Stanners, Linlithgow. Hendry, Renfrewshire. McDowell, Dumbarton.

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 December 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I keep thinking that I've seen it all in terms of census entries, then this example pops up!

It's important to understand the process; the enumerator hands out the schedule, then collects it, and transcribes the info into the enumeration book.
#1 chance for an error to creep in.

If the householder had been unable to complete the schedule, the enumerator may have done it for them.  Not necessarily a question of illiteracy, BTW, more often a question of unfamiliarity with a form such as the census household schedule.

Accents frequently caused problems if (a) the head of household wasn't originally from Scotland, - I've seen some real "beauties" deriving from a broad Ulster accent, and (b) many enumerators were incomers to the area, it being more often that not the case that enumerators who were ministers or schoolteachers were from outwith the area so, in their early days at least not always fully familiar with local accents.
#2 chance for an error to creep in.

And then there's the oft quoted results of data inputters in India, Sri Lanka, The Phillippines, Taiwan, etc., who have been given less than perfect training in terms of handwriting styles of the era, Scottish given names, surnames, place names, and occupations.  No names, no pack drill, but one large website excels above all others !!

These data inputters don't have the luxury of preexisting knowledge of the families involved, nor the time to do some lateral searching to clarify a difficult entry.
#3 chance for an error to creep in.

To be strictly fair to modern name transcribers/data inputters there are some peculiar hands out there and some less than ideal images, in particular the 1851 census in Scotland which is in the process of being re-digitised.

And further, there are some highly accurate transcriptions out there, particularly FreeCen and FHSs, most of which use a true double entry approach.  [True double entry involves two transcribers independently inputting the data.  A third person then compares the inputs and resolves any differences.  If there are still problems, then the situation is referred further to top experts.]

The solution is deceptively simple, for the Scottish records, at least on ScotlandsPeople.

This is to invest some time in learning how to use wildcards.

However much you believe that you know all the possible variant surname spellings, I can guarantee you that the situations above will produce variants that you haven't previously come across; never mind general variations in spelling.

OK, it can sometimes take quite some time playing about with various wildcard searches but my general experience is that there will most often be a result !  Remember that ScotlandsPeople allows the use of an initial wildcard, as individual styles of initial capital letters could be quite ideosyncratic !

I've long since given up assuming that a certain surname can only have spelling diffences in 'obvious' parts of the surname, - this situation being a quite brilliant example.

And don't just concentrate on surnames at the risk of ignoring given names.  For example, here, was the given name 'Henry' or 'Hendry' or various possible renderings of these ?

ibi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 December 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
That's a belt and braces on it Ibi, thanks for that.

Happy Christmas to you  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 December 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
That's a belt and braces on it Ibi, thanks for that.

Happy Christmas to you  :)

Monica

Hi Monica

I just get frustrated when I see situations like this where the use of wildcards could have solved things a lot earlier.

Incidentally, I use two methods of generating name variants.

Firstly the 2 LDS 1881 Scottish CDs, but you have to know how to use wildcards in the first place  ;), and secondly, the NameX system.

See http://www.origins.net/namex/aboutnamex.html for the background to the system, and http://www.originsnetwork.com/namex/NameXSearch.aspx for a way to use NameX to research your name of interest.

Orraverybest for Christmas  :)

ibi

Offline Neil1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 May 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
10 years later and I see this chat. Do you have any more information regards the Ferguson family. I'm descended from Henry and Jemina through their son Henry.
Neil

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 May 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I have a fair amount of info on Henry and Jemima which also includes his second wife Jane Ogilvie.

Not a lot about Henry Jnr (my connection is through their daughter Janet/Jessie) but most of the info is for Henry Snr from his early days as a Police Officer to his death in 1892.

Let me know what you have an I may be able to fill in a few gaps

Graham
Weir, McCormick, Ferguson, Menzies, Cheyne, Graham, Fyfe, Cuthbert

Offline Neil1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 May 19 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,
I've only just started on the Henry Ferguson side, so was pleasantly surprised to see people had done some research on the family.
Are you descended via his first or second wife? I can't find Janet in the 1851 census. I know that Jemima was dead before HF's marriage to Christina Lawson/Lowson in 1869.
I am very curious about Henry being a police officer. Are there archives with information? Most of my Dundee/Perth ancestors were weavers, so it's nice to find another profession.
If you have anything you can share, you can email me at (*)
 (the F in the initials being the last remnant of the Ferguson name)
Neil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php