Author Topic: Jemima Ferguson (nee Kennedy)  (Read 9305 times)

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Ferguson (nee Kennedy)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I'm descended from Henry & Jemima and their daughter Jessie - Henry's second marriage to Jane Ogilvy was childless as they were too old when they married in 1869.

According to the Police museum, he was at that time, the longest serving officer in Dundee up to his retiral shortly before his death in 1892. I have a photo of him in his later years in uniform. Jemima presents a tragic figure with the death of her mother when she was quite young and the death of several of her children, culminating in her suicide in 1869 (I suspect his marriage to Jane Ogilvy in the same year was due to necessity as Henry still had a few young children to look after!)

The marriage of Christina Lawson in 1869 to Henry Ferguson Jnr (Henry & Jemima's son) when Henry Jnr was 23 is coincidental, as it is the same year his mother died and his father married Jane Ogilvie.

Makes interesting reading - see attached image.

Regards
Graham
Weir, McCormick, Ferguson, Menzies, Cheyne, Graham, Fyfe, Cuthbert

Offline Neil1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 May 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
That's a great help! Which website or tool do you use for your genealogy?
You couldn't scan the photo of HF in uniform? I'd love to see it. Due to my parents moving around, I have so few photos of anyone in my family.
Is the police museum a good place to get information? I don't live in Britain any more, so it's a bit far to visit. Do you know if they are helpful in providing information?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 May 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.