Author Topic: Jemima Ferguson (nee Kennedy)  (Read 9306 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Ferguson (nee Kennedy)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 December 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

i wonder if this is them in 1841 ?
hawkhill dundee angus
john mcmilne 42 weaver born ireland
hendry ferguson 20 starcher b. angus
jammima hendry 20 b. angus
janet ferguson 1 b. angus

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 December 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
No, the connection is spurious and Jemima (or Jamina) was a Kennedy and her husband was Henry Ferguson always stated as a Police Officer from 1838 until his death in 1892.

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Weir, McCormick, Ferguson, Menzies, Cheyne, Graham, Fyfe, Cuthbert

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 December 09 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there is no image available in Scotlandspeople relating to Jean Thomson Ferguson

However there is an index entry on Scotland's People for Jean Thomson Ferguson. So if you have clicked on that entry and no image has come up, get in touch with SP and they will sort it out.

This looks to be a badly transcribed 1851 census entry from Ancestry (I haven't checked whether it shows on FreeCen)

It won't be; none of the 1851 census of Angus is on FreeCen so far.

No, the connection is spurious and Jemima (or Jamina) was a Kennedy and her husband was Henry Ferguson always stated as a Police Officer from 1838 until his death in 1892.

I would not dismiss the possibility. Both Henry and Jemima are very unusual names, and it would be stretching the long are of coincidence a bit far to have two Henry Fergusons, both married to a Jemima, of similar ages and living in the same parish, with a daughter Janet or Jessie (those names are totally interchangeable in Scotland) of the same age. The information was presumably supplied by the head of household, John McMilne, and either he or the enumerator could have got things wrong.

I have the information concerning her birth under the name Jamena and her father Robert and mother Elizabeth Peterkin, but I was not sure of the accuracy.

What does her death certificate say her parents' names were? Are they not the same?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 December 09 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Jemima Ferguson's death certificate show that her father was Robert Kennedy and mother Elizabeth Peterkin.

It also states that she was married to Henry Ferguson Police Office at tha data of her death 11th June 1869.

EV's post:
1841 census
hendry ferguson 20 starcher b. angus it is possible that this is the correct Henry Ferguson
jammima hendry 20 b. angus unlikely that this is the Jemima Ferguson unless the enumerator got the surname wrong.

The 1851 census makes mention of Jess Ferguson (12) and this may be the Janet you speak of.

I will do some further investigation - many thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 December 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Jemima Ferguson's death certificate show that her father was Robert Kennedy and mother Elizabeth Peterkin.

So if her birth has the same parents, there's no uncertainty :)

1841 census
jammima hendry 20 b. angus unlikely that this is the Jemima Ferguson unless the enumerator got the surname wrong.

Imagine saying Kennedy in a thick Irish accent. It could sound like Hendry to a Dundonian ear.

The 1851 census makes mention of Jess Ferguson (12) and this may be the Janet you speak of.

I'd be astonished if it isn't the same child.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Waiwera

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 01:16 GMT (UK) »
 Greetings
The spelling of both forenames and surname for Jemima and Henry Ferguson have been difficult in many census making then hard to find. Henry did not enter the Police Force until 1848 and was I believe a starcher at his marriage in 1838. His father and brother were both starchers in the 1841.

Waiwera
Ferguson,Dundee. Taylor, Banks and More and Fyfe, Midlothian. Sleigh and Stanners, Linlithgow. Hendry, Renfrewshire. McDowell, Dumbarton.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Waiwera

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

So, Ev's entry for the 1841 census was the correct entry for the family then. It's hard enough finding people when they are correctly recorded....never mind when names are not as you would expect!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Waiwera,

Thank you for your info - it seems to complicate matters if the names are spelled incorrectly. I will try again to review the Ferguson/Kennedy connection in Dundee and see what is revealed.

Thanks

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like Waiwera and you might be researching the same line  :) Maybe a good idea to compare notes and see if you can both make headway....

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk