Author Topic: Which military records for York in 1876?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline setraynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Riddle Me Ree - Sorting out my family tree
    • View Profile
Which military records for York in 1876?
« on: Sunday 13 March 05 11:05 GMT (UK) »
My 2xgt grandfather (Stephen Edward Butler) was born in Kent but married in York in November 1876.  On his marriage certificate his occupation was a Private in the 6th Dragoon Guards and his place of residence was the Barracks, York. Does anyone have any tips for finding out more about his military life in York?  I haven't found anything on A2A and I don't seem to have much luck with the National Archives website (but that's probably down to user error  :-\) What other sources could I try?

Thanks,
Sharon
Interested in the following names:
TRAYNOR Co Mayo Ireland, Greater Manchester, Boston Michigan & Texas USA<br />CLOUGH Bolton Lancs & Norwich Norfolk<br />BUTLER, BAILEY & FOSTER Peasmarsh Sussex <br />SIMPSON & SOWTER Norwich, Norfolk<br />WARRINGTON & DAVIES Salford Lancs<br />TAYLOR Bolton Lancs<br />HOWARTH  & CHAPMAN Rochdale Lancs

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
Re: Which military records for York in 1876?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 05 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon
I had an ancestor who was in the 1st Dragoons and married in 1892 in Dewsbury. On his marriage his address is Fulford, York. This is where the cavalry barracks were located, so it seems possible that your man could have been based at these barracks. Below is a link that gives some info on the barracks.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=36392

This is a link on the history of the 6th Dragoons
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/cav/D06Innis.htm

If you can get to the National Archives at Kew you may be able to obtain his service record in WO 97 which are pensions/discharge papers from about 1780 upto 1913.
Hope some of this helps
Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline setraynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Riddle Me Ree - Sorting out my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Which military records for York in 1876?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

Thanks for these links.  The unit history was very interesting to read.  There was also a link to the WO records on A2A on one of those sites - but I still couldn't find my ancestor using that link either.  Ah well.......the search goes on.

Regards,
Sharon
Interested in the following names:
TRAYNOR Co Mayo Ireland, Greater Manchester, Boston Michigan & Texas USA<br />CLOUGH Bolton Lancs & Norwich Norfolk<br />BUTLER, BAILEY & FOSTER Peasmarsh Sussex <br />SIMPSON & SOWTER Norwich, Norfolk<br />WARRINGTON & DAVIES Salford Lancs<br />TAYLOR Bolton Lancs<br />HOWARTH  & CHAPMAN Rochdale Lancs